Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Longing to Simplify - Part 1

Crazy as it sounds homeschooling has really simplified my life.  When I am home teaching my kids, I can't be involved in other daytime activities.  I haven't been home this much in years!  For the last few years both boys went to preschool 25 min from our home which took me out of the house 2-3 mornings a week (depending on how old they were).  I was then involved in a mom group so I was gone at least 3 mornings a week which didn't leave me much time at home at all.  I start to feel stressed when I'm not home at least every other day.  I also start to go stir crazy if I can't get out every other day!  I can't remember my life where I had to be home every single day.  Aside from field trips, errands, etc I try to keep a routine for the boys so we get our schooling done every morning.  Sometimes it doesn't fit into a perfect schedule or routine but for the most part it does stay pretty consistent.  I do enjoy the simplicity of my daytime routine.

Here's what that looks like...

Morning routines
School
Lunch
Quiet time (boys get to play in their room and mom gets time alone)
Work Time -Boys finish up any work they didn't get finished before lunch independently (all my teaching is done at the beginning of the morning so at the end is independent work).  While they finish up, I work in my office.  They have desks in my office so we all pretty much work in the same area together.  If the boys get their work done they usually start on some project like writing a book, coloring, drawing, etc.  I love how they find things to do on their own.  This is why our TV is only on at scheduled times or they would be watching all day.  In fact I'm still not sure why they always ask to turn it on as if I'm going to change my mind.   
Afternoon Routine/Chores - still working on getting this into a good rhythm.  I haven't been very good about this as it seems like I get distracted on other things that take my time.  
Evenings - this varies.  We have church, my work & ministry schedule as well as a once a month homeschool Bible study.  Some weeks I am only gone once while a busy week would have me away 3 times.  The boys don't mind since they are home with me all day and they get to have a "boys' night" as they call it.  That usually means they do things they don't do when I'm home for the evening like play video games with dad, work on his barn, etc.  

I really have loved our new schedule.  Disclaimer:  This does not mean that homeschooling is always peaceful or that I have figured it out completely.  We have had a much better week and are getting into a good rhythm but there are still homeschool stresses that haven't been worked out yet.  

Tomorrow I want to share the next phase of simplifying my life that has to do with getting rid of things.  Since I'm home more now, specific areas of my home are driving me nuts and it's time to purge!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment