Monday, September 26, 2011

Ignorance is Bliss..or is it?

Most of you probably know about the online tool that Focus on the Family offers for those who want to know what's in a movie before you go see it.  If not it's www.pluggedinonline.com. Lately I've been finding that the movies I want to see have reviews that I find disturbing forcing me to realize I probably shouldn't watch the movie.  Sometimes I purposely don't look at the review so that I can "ignorantly" watch the movie without feeling bad if it has junk in it.  I'm not just talking about going to a theater but also what I watch here at home.

Yesterday I watched a movie that I figured would be filled with sin.  In fact the movie was so good that it pulled me into rooting for sin!  Seriously!?!  It's scary to me that Hollywood can have that kind of pull on me and the culture I live in.    

I'm feeling a little bit convicted of this...ok...a lot convicted of this.  If I want to live out Philippians 4:13 and think on things that are pure, I've got to rid the junk that comes in.  A year ago we changed our TV viewing habits which made a huge difference in our life.  I love not being tied to the TV for a show and feeling the guilt that comes with it after I watch the filth.  However, movies can still have a negative affect on me as well, if I don't filter them too.  

I'd love to hear your guidelines of choosing media to watch.  So far we no longer watch anything Rated R but even PG-13 has a lot of junk in it.  So, would love to hear from you and learn from you.  I want to simplify my viewing habits even more so that I don't have to be embarrassed to share what I watch with others.  We have friends who filter their movies through a specific program on their DVD player.  We probably should check into that so the junk can be taken out and we can still enjoy the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment