There's been some grieving in my life of things I had unrealistic ideas about. Can you relate? I thought becoming a mother would be the best thing in the world...and it has been. But I wasn't prepared to give up things. I didn't expect to live on a limited budget for several years so that I could be the one to raise my boys. I didn't expect to give up my dream of freedom once they went to school by doing the thing I said I'd never do...homeschool.
It's been almost a month now that I've heard mothers talking about sending their kids back to school. At first I was glad to keep my kids home. In fact, I really hated it when Isaac was in school all the time. But if I'm honest with myself, I've had to grieve this freedom I've given up to follow the Lord's desire for our family.
The Lord's call to mothers is heavy and hard work. No matter what your situation, I'm sure as a mother, you've had to give up something for your kids. Maybe something that you never thought you would have to or want to. While I would not change a thing, I realize that doing what the Lord desires (no matter what area of life) means we truly die to ourselves to serve others. This is a hard battle but when I remember the prize the Lord has promised....it's all worth it.
Wow , so true. I agree it is so hard to see and hear all the moms talk about their quiet day while all their little ones are in school. I will occasionally run to walmart to do our shopping in the morning before we start school . I have to admit it is really hard sometimes seeing the other mommies I know doing their shopping alone and still in their comfy clothes. They just dropped all of their kids off at school and can go home and get ready for the day in a quiet house alone. We are only in our first week of school and it is so hard this year. I have 4 kids in school and 2 babies! I don't hardly get a breath let alone get to go to the rest room between the hours of 8-1 without several little people needing me. I don't want to sound like I am whining because I am so grateful for the call the Lord has given me. I feel so blessed to get to spend everyday with all my littles and teach and train them in the ways the Lord has called me to. Sometimes I like you just miss the days of sleeping in, no one needing me ( at least every minute of the day), exercising( I actually used to like to run ), building my photography business...... and so on. Thanks for your honesty and reminding me of the truth that it is all so worth it!!!
ReplyDeleteDo nothing out of selfish ambition of vain conceit but in humility consider others better than yourself. Philippians 2:3
I suppose if I want my kids to honor and embrace this verse I should as well and try my best to live this out everyday. Even if that means helping one of my kids sound out a word from the other side of the bathroom door sometimes ;)
Hannah Arnold