Saturday, July 31, 2010

Scheduling & Time Managment

I got a lot of good tips from chapters 4, 5 & 6. I will list my favorites and what I learned:

to do list: I have to say that this is my best tool of the day. I cannot function without a list. There are so many ways you can make a list. I like to make a master list for the week that includes all that I need to do at home, with my business and with ministries I'm involved in. Then each day I like to break my day up into segments of a couple of hours so I know when I'm going to do things. You can use a daily planner for this or I just simply use a small notebook to make notes in. I know of some women who use an index card each day as well. Whatever works for you.

Binder: I have found a great tool is to have a binder that you can file info you need to refer to often. I was finding that I would have these papers piling on my desk because I didn't want to file them long term yet. The solution is a binder with tabs. I include things from school, vacation planning, etc. Whatever you need it to look like.

Calendar: Calendar is so important. If I lose mine, I lose my sanity because my life is completely laid out in it. So many different options, choose the best for your lifestyle.

Filing system: You do want to have a filing system of some sort. Whether its a small crate or a cabinet. I run a business and like to stay really organized so I have a huge cabinet that I use. Not everyone needs something so big.

Next, I'll list some good family management tips:

Chores - delegate chores to children. Something new I'm going to do is put all the chores in a drawing and each week the boys will get to draw out their chores for the week. Keeps things changing for them. I always have a hard time knowing what needs done so here's what my boys will be learning to do (some of these they already do):

feed and water the dog twice a day
set the table for all meals (they will get to choose which plates we use - a great tip from the book)
mop the bathroom floors (they love to use the fun little mop we have)
fold towels
unload dishwasher
take the sheets off all the beds

My boys will need to have their chores done before their favorite morning TV show comes on. I have found when there is routine, there is no arguing about what needs done.

Weekly plan sheet on fridge - this is great for the family or husband to see what is going. I normally verbally tell him and he forgets so this will eliminate communication issues (at least I hope!)

Morning Routine - set a morning routine and you will find that it runs so much smoother. My intention is to do the following each morning (I've gotten off this summer so we'll be starting this again next Monday!)
* Quiet time with the Lord
* Exercise
* Get dressed/make bed
* Boys up and going
* Breakfast/Bible lesson for boys
* Favorite TV show while mom cleans up the kitchen, gets laundry started and checks email quickly
* off to school and the rest of our day

**some tips about your morning routine: first of all I keep my clothes sorted downstairs by my washer/dryer. I try to bring all the clothes down each morning where they are sorted and I can throw in loads as I choose that day. Also, something I've never tried is to have table set for breakfast the night before. We can get in the bad habit of turning the TV on and doing things instead of sitting down to eat together each morning. Also, a breakfast menu plan is great too. I don't normally do a breakfast plan but find we don't eat very healthy at breakfast either. This is a change I'm going to make.

Snack time - I always have issues with this because my boys are always whining right as its time to make dinner...they just can't wait to eat any longer. I'm making a new rule that there are no snacks after 4pm. If they want a snack after that it will have to be fruits or veggies only.

Various charts for the following info:
Family history chart (documenting physicals, etc)
Shopping guide chart (current clothing sizes for everyone, likes/dislikes, etc)
credit card sheets (so all your credit card info is in one place for identify theft or burglary)
Important dates sheet (birthdays, anniversaries, etc)
Important phone numbers sheet
Items loan and borrowed sheet

Going to create my charts now and implement my new routine changes on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment