If you are like me, you may hate to set goals. I hate deadlines...it causes me so much stress. However, if I don't set goals, I feel like I stay in the same place. This week we are focusing on creating a family mission statement and setting goals in several areas of our life.
"The plans of the diligent lead to profit." Proverbs 21:5
A simple definition of a goal - a dream with a deadline. Areas to focus on:
Spiritual goals
Physical goals
Family goals
Financial goals
Professional goals
mental goals
social goals
community service goals
As I look over this list, there are only 4 I'm going to focus on right now. Spiritual, physical, financial, and professional. I actually already know them so I will share...
Spiritual - my husband and I have been in a 2 year study on the life of Jesus that will finish up in December. Yet to cover are 2 exams, a retreat, and a book of homework along with lectures twice a month. We are learning so much and have loved investing this time!
Physical - I have wanted to run a 5K for awhile now. However, my body has not been able to run without ankle and knee pain. My goal is to take a year and build up stronger muscles and then begin training next spring for the Fort 4 Fitness 5K in 2011.
Financial - Jeff and I have been following the Dave Ramsey financial plan. Our goal is to build our savings back up from taking out this summer and then by 2011 begin investing. I know many couples our age are already doing this but we chose to get out of debt first (its biblical) and then we trust the Lord to provide as we begin investing for our future.
Professional - Earn my first career car while still keeping my family and the Lord the focus of my life. It's all about organization, time management and balance.
I am also involved in 3 church ministries that I'm continuing to serve in: Mom Life, Worship team (once a month), and supporting my husband in a marriage ministry small group.
And lastly, but not less important is creating a family mission statement. My husband and I finally came up with one that is a scripture verse we feel is so important and have already begun teaching our boys. My goal is to get it in writing on my wall (but I haven't set a date for that yet because I'd like to purchase a plague or something). It is: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all our soul and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:37-39
I'd love to hear your family mission statement and/or goals you are working on right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment