Saturday, July 24, 2010

Freezer Cooking

Freezer cooking is something I occasionally do. I find that when I am able to take the time to do it there are several benefits including:
Healthier meals
Less time in the kitchen overall
Less clean up after meals
Less stressed out ME

If you decide you want to try this, I suggest creating a list of your favorite meals and determine what you can make up ahead. Most casseroles can be assembled (make sure to cook the meat first) and then baked when you are ready to eat. I like to figure up how much ground meat I need (hamburger and sausage) and do all of that. If that is the only thing I do, it cuts down on the prep work which is huge. I posted some pics of my day to give you a visual. Some of these I then topped with cheese. I love using the foil 8x8 square pans. I just took a 9x13 recipe and split up into 2 meals for most of these casseroles.

My plan this month:1. Made a list of meals for 4 weeks (I've never stuck with my plan...I do venture away at times)2. Purchased most of the groceries for the month (there are things that will need to be purchased closer time to make the meal)3. Prepared as much food ahead of time that I couldI browned up hamburger for:
spagehetti saucetacos
crescent roll topped cheeseburger casserole
extra for anything else that I might want to use it withI

I browned up sausage for:
homemade pizza
breakfast casseroles/dishes
Extra for anything else I may want to use later

Cooked chicken in a crock pot for half of the day for:chicken enchiladas
chicken and bacon pizza
chicken broccoli ring

I created the following meals that are oven ready:Cheeseburger Supreme (2 meals)Manicotti (2 meals)BBQ meatballsmac & Cheesepotato casserole (2 meals)

I think you could google most of these recipes to find them if you want to try them as most of them have come from various websites such as www.pillsbury.com, www.allrecipes.com and www.familyfun.com. I don't think I could type them all out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment