Monday, February 27, 2012

1 Week Update on Lifestyle Changes

Today marks one entire week of going sugar, wheat, gluten and dairy free.  Here's what I've learned...

*I miss cheese much more than sugar...in fact, I don't really miss sugar because there are other great natural sweeteners that taste great in recipes
*I have been so very lazy in feeding my family healthy food.  We've gone from having maybe one veggie a day to adding fruits and veggies at every meal.
*I don't have a "heavy" feeling after eating
*I discovered I love bananas with almond butter
*Went nearly all week without a headache (still would love to get rid of neck and shoulder tension)
*There are some great healthy recipes out there
*A Vitamix is a must have investment to eat healthy and make a lot of your own food
*I need to throw nearly every item from my pantry out
*I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and feeling like I need to relearn how to cook
*I have a lot to learn.....
*I have to get creative so I don't get bored with the same foods
*Made "rice" using cauliflower and my boys liked it better than rice
*Discovered we enjoy sweet potatoes
*I send Jeff to the store on his lunch hour about every other day with all the fresh food we've been going through (thankfully he's more than willing to do this so we don't spend the gas on the trip to town)
*Real honey locally grown tastes so much better than store bought
*Dates are a great sweet snack when I have a sugar craving
*Cauliflower makes great "mashed potatoes" substitute


I also decided to watch Super Size Me.  I cringed eating out at fast food places before watching, now I will have more will power to actually plan ahead so I don't have to go through fast food. It was so eye opening and I will think twice before going to a fast food restaurant.

I can't say that I've noticed a huge difference in the way I feel but I can say that I do feel a little better and am excited to see what next week will do.

In other news...I did have a lot of blood work drawn up this week as a baseline to see if there's anything obvious being overlooked.  Probably will be a few weeks before I get those results.

No comments:

Post a Comment