Friday, February 3, 2012

I Choose....

This post reminded me of another area the Lord is working on me.  I have always admitted to getting my feelings hurt easily.  It's like I think everyone is against me wanting to hurt me.  This kind of thinking is so destructive when it comes to relationships.  Thankfully some great friends have stuck it out with me for over 15 years!!  Recently I felt like I was being too sensitive in a couple of relationships.  While I was praying about them and why I always feel a certain way the Lord reminded me that I can choose to think positively about these relationships and get rid of unrealistic expectations or be offended every time something doesn't go the way I want.  I was reading a book Every Day A Friday by Joel Osteen that opened my eyes about how I view people.  The Lord used his words to reveal to me that I always turn words and actions against me (even though they may never have been intended that way).  I always assume they were meant to hurt or leave me out.  Since reading that book, I've been able to ask the Lord to help me 1) love like Him 2) view the situation through His eyes 3) trust him instead of being offended.  I know I have 2 choices to make 1) wallow in self pity or 2) choose the Lord and His ways.  Even though it's hard at first, it's becoming easier!  I love how the Lord changes me!!  I have to continually remind myself that people are not out to hurt me or purposely leave me out.  

A simple phrase a friend said to me the other day...."I like you just the way you are".  I was worried about being perceived wrong in a group of people I don't know well.  My friend said to just be myself.  I told her that sometimes I am introverted which can be interpreted as snobby.  That's when she said those healing words.  I felt so much love in that simple phrase.  In fact, I can't remember anyone ever telling me that.  It was as if something in my brain switched.  I went into that particular evening confident and relaxed....and had a great time!  Who can you give healing words to today?    

Thanks, Lord, for teaching us the hard things and giving us friendships that encourage and heal.   

No comments:

Post a Comment