Thursday, February 9, 2012

Time to Make a Lifestyle Change

Over the last year or so we've been trying to eat healthier by eliminating as many harmful preservatives as possible.  Anything I could make myself, I stopped buying.  (Jeff does complain about this because I don't always keep up on stocking the pantry with my homemade goodies!) I've been trying to exercise but not on a regular basis....maybe 2 or 3 days of pilates each week but no cardio.  We've definitely been adding fruits and veggies to our diet more than any other time of our lives.

However, we've had a few wake-up calls.

Last year Jeff had a blood test that showed high cholesterol.  Then a couple weeks ago he was asked to jump into a men's basketball game for fun.  He said he was so out of shape he thought he was going to have a heart attack.  He has some family history with heart problems so I did not take this statement lightly!

I, too, have been struggling with some health issues.  I tend to have joint issues, digestive issues, and muscle aches on a pretty regular basis.  Recently, I had some testing done for gallbladder issues.  Two out of three tests came back normal and I'm waiting to do the third.  I'm in no danger to wait to see if I can make some lifestyle changes to better my health.  For now I have to stay away from fatty and fried foods and replace that with lots of fruits and veggies.

In light of the fact we are in our 30s and not getting any younger, we want to be healthier as we age.  So, it's time to make some lifestyle changes.  I know this won't be easy but sometimes it takes a few health issues/scares to get moving!

Our new healthier goals....

*Eat a fruit or veggie with every meal
*Stick to lean meats (chicken & fish....need good recipes!)
*Cardio exercise 3 times a week - we have to figure out HOW to do this.  Any suggestions?  We have such a busy schedule and will need to include the kids with us.  We are considering these options:  joining the Y, a gym here in Warren with a pool, purchasing an elliptical machine, family outings that require lots of movement....    Would love your suggestions!  

5 comments:

  1. I saw you have some digestive issues. Have you ever thought of going gluten free for a week to see how you feel? We were amazed at how our digestive problems cleared once we went gluten free. We did it for one week and never went back (well, we do have off days, but we're pretty much all gluten free :)). Grains are very hard on your body to digest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami, not sure if this reply will get to you or not since I've not used this feature yet! I did consider gluten but the symptoms didn't match what I was dealing with. However, I'm not opposed to cutting back and being aware of it. I'd need to do research to see what I'm eating that has gluten. We're trying to make our snacks be fruits and veggies or nuts.

      Delete
  2. You might want to check into extensive allergy testing for your issues. My brother has had 5 blood clots in the past 6 years and every test from every specialist has come back negative. He finally got tested for allergies and he has a HUGE list of things he is allergic to and the doctor believes this is the source of his clots! He's not going off his medicine yet, but he's doing a very strict rotation diet to see if that improves his problems. It's amazing what things allergies can cause!!! Anna's personality even changed from defiant to pliable when we took her off milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,
    If you need a good way to start exercising, there are a lot of great vidoes out there that I use for good cardio. Walmart has a good selection for only $9 or $10. I use "Walk Away the Pounds" when I can't make it to the YMCA or "Slim in Six." I also use Jillian Michael's workout "30 Day Shred." That one will get your heart going and you will feel it long after the workout is over.
    I, too, have heart problems in my family, as you well know, so exercise is extremely important to us and has been for awhile. Just get moving!!! Oh and my kids...well, Daphne, like to do all the above workouts with me. They like them just as much as I do.
    Let me know how it works out!!!

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Leslie,

    You probably already know what I'm going to say, but I think one of the best places to start is to eliminate ALL refined sugar from your diet. There are so many delicious alternatives out there sweetened with either fruit, honey, etc. that you won't even miss it after you've gone without for a few weeks. Refined sugar is poison, plain and simple. From the research I've done, about 90% of your health benefits will come from your diet, while the other 10% is from exercise. This doesn't mean exercise isn't important, BUT a clean diet is your best friend when it comes to health. I agree with Kami on giving gluten-free a trial run (even if that's not your primary issue, it definitely can't hurt). Some folks need to go gluten free for several months before a notable improvement can be registered. Pasteurized dairy products may also be culprits. In addition, consider weeding through your staples to make sure GMOs are no longer a part of your diet.

    Above all else, listen to your body. None of us are perfect pegs in a puzzle. Pay attention to how your body reacts to different foods & go from there. You may find that certain fats bother you, while others are perfectly fine. The goal is to find the perfect foods for you. :)

    As for exercise? Do whatever you find enjoyable and know you'll stick with. It's also a good thing to change it up as often as possible as your body will become too efficient if performing the same routine on a regular basis, meaning you will reap a lesser benefit.

    If you ever need a workout buddy, I'm here! I could always use the extra motivation!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete