I think I will find it a struggle to write this post. If you were to talk to me about this in person you'd see on my face and hear in my voice so much more than I could ever type out for you to read, but I will do my best!
Words to describe my weekend....refreshing, peaceful, freeing, friendships, healing, intimacy, vision
Those are words to describe the prayer retreat I went on this weekend. To give you some background, I have been on 4 other prayer retreats or solitude retreats before. These were part of a leadership class I took over 2 years ago. During this class we were taught the importance of getting alone with the Lord on a regular basis. I was terrified at first to do these wondering how I would ever fill so many hours up alone with the Lord. I began to look forward to doing these retreats, the more I did. Then I no longer "had" to do them so they were no longer a priority in my schedule. The last time I took one was nearly 2 years ago.
A few weeks ago I noticed that the Women's Ministry of our church was hosting 3 prayer retreats of 8-12 women per retreat. I thought how nice it would be to go but when I looked at my schedule, it was already full.
Last week I had an appointment on Saturday morning and Jeff was planning to do take me out on Friday evening. It was going to be quite a busy weekend with other things going on as well. By Tuesday of last week my Saturday morning appointment was cancelled and we could not find a someone to watch the kids for us, which rarely happens. By Tuesday evening I was so frustrated.....I had NEEDED time alone with my husband for some time. We had tried to go out 2 weeks earlier but Jeff's work schedule interfered. So, we were soooo looking forward to this evening out. Nearly in tears from frustration, I complained to the Lord. I told him how tired I was, how I needed Him to fill me up. At this point He gently reminded me of the very last prayer retreat planned for this weekend.....all details fell into place perfectly. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I was to be at this weekend. I had no idea who else was going to be there but I didn't even care....I just wanted to spend time with my Lord.
Now, I can't even image if I had passed up the opportunity to go. I'm so thankful the Lord pursued me, broke up all my weekend plans that interfered with the weekend and prompted me to go. I have to thank my husband who immediately confirmed I needed to go when I mentioned the idea to him.
I don't even know how to describe this time I had! A new friend I met this past weekend looked at me, smiled and said, "you're glowing!" by the end of the retreat. You see, I was just the opposite when I stepped into that villa 24 hours prior. I was feeling defeated, depressed, irritable and in desperate need of uninterrupted time with the Lord.
I know this write up really can't do justice to what the Lord did in my heart this weekend, so feel free to ask me about it when you see me next!
awesome! :)
ReplyDelete