Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Decision

I hate making huge, life changing decisions! I will dwell on it and write out every pro and con until I'm crazy. So, here's our journey with our latest huge decision....

This journey began before I even realized it. I graduated Huntington College (now University) in 2003 with a degree in Elementary Education. I was excited and ready to begin this new season of life. I only knew the public school. Homeschooling was foreign to me until I met my husband. He had never stepped foot into a public school. Of course we both had our "ideas" of the better education choice. Thankfully we didn't have to make that choice for quite some time!

When Isaac was a toddler we began to research a bit. I couldn't even believe I was considering such a strange thing to do! :) I thought homeschooling was for weird families who wanted to shelter their kids. It's funny how the Lord works! I literally wrestled with this schooling decision for years. I would have peace and then wouldn't have peace about our choice to public school Isaac for K. However, I didn't have peace about homeschooling either. Jeff was willing to go either way. He saw benefits to both but worried that homeschooling might be too much for me. Not because he didn't think I could do it but because he knew I'd do it too well to the point of perfection = stressed out mom!

This year our corporation needed to make some cuts and our school was one being considered to close. I had this feeling that maybe the Lord was going to have us homeschool. I have to say that when we decided to public school we chose to do it soley on the fact we loved the school we were in. We were familiar with it since I went there and knew several of the teachers. That was very important to us. So when we found out we may no longer be part of this school we went to the Lord to see if we were to consider homeschooling again.

With all that said we spent many weeks researching, praying, talking to others and simply seeking the Lord. I think Jeff was tired of hearing me talk about it over and over again. Over a 6 week period the Lord revealed to both of us that it was His desire for us to homeschool. I've never felt more peace about our schooling choice. I think I have always fought it thinking I would hate it. I began to change my prayer and ask the Lord to give me more desire if this was His choice for us. The desire grew to the point that I could no longer deny what the Lord was saying.

In all of this, our school was not closed but we have been redistricted to another school. I'm thankful the Lord has given us His direction and wisdom. I'm looking forward to our new adventure and all the blessings we'll have learning together as a family! Would appreciate your prayers as I know it won't be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment