Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Baby Steps Make Lasting Change

Over the past six months I've been reminded of a skill that can be applied to nearly every part of my life. It's all about small steps.

I can get so overwhelmed looking at the big picture. When I was in college I would take a term paper and divide out the baby steps into a manageable time frame. It worked perfectly! I never once pulled an all-nighter and usually had all my big projects and papers finished at least 1 week prior to the deadline. I cannot handle pressure and close deadlines.

Since college I have added a husband, a home, and 2 children to care for. The big goals/projects just become overwhelming that I don't even attempt them. For some reason I stuffed away the small baby steps approach and tried to take on the big stuff alone. I would try to set my deadlines too close in and when I couldn't handle the "baby steps" that were actually "huge steps" I would give up my goal. Example....I tried to change our eating habits at once but did not give myself a realistic timeline. Everyone was complaining about no food in the house becuase I didn't know how to replace our bad habits into good habits. Even though I've not given up, I've backed off to take baby steps. I truly believe baby steps create lasting change.

I also can apply this concept to my sin. My sin can become overwhelming when I look at it all at once. However, I can focus on one small area at a time. Usually the Lord will show me the most urgent area to work on. For nearly 9 years He wanted me to submit my TV viewing to Him. To turn off the TV cold turkey would result in a couple weeks of good habits and then I'd indulge into in later. I realized that taking baby steps in this area would create lasting change. The first thing? Turn off shows that I don't really find enjoyment in. I would watch just to fill time. (this step lasted for several years). Next? Filter the movies I watch. I began to limit the kind of movies I watched and when I would watch them. Next came inappropriate TV shows the Lord had put on my heart to stop watching even though I found great enjoyment in them. It came one show at a time until all shows were out of my viewing habits. Then I even stopped watching all daytime shows that I found filled with fun tips (Rachael Ray, Dr. Oz, etc). It wasn't that I felt the Lord telling me to stop but my habits had changed so much that I didn't have the desire to watch them anymore. Instead I wanted to use this time to work on building my children, home and business. The big change took place over a 2 year period. It takes time to create lasting change. I'm glad I'm finally accepting this. I want fast change that happened yesterday. However, the Lord desires for our change to be real and lasting. (This area is not perfect but I do feel the Lord has delivered me and I desire to share how the Lord works in my life. Many of you did not know me 7 years ago before the Lord took hold of my life and changed it in ways I never thought needed changed. Satan still tempts me and even after writing the first draft of this post a few weeks ago I was tempted to watch something that the Lord made clear He wanted out of my life. Thankfully He gave me an out and I took it!)

I believe you can apply this concept to any area of your life. I'm using it for business, homemaking, projects and my spiritual journey. It's all about small steps that make lasting change.

1 comment:

  1. i was also reminded today that i need to keep 'simplicity' in the forefront of everything in my life. my decisions, my routine, my schedule, even the words i use to answer a question.
    thanks for sharing what God has been doing in your life!

    ReplyDelete