Friday, December 17, 2010

A memorable Christmas

Today I experienced something I've never done before. I delivered Christmas gifts to a single mom with three kids. It's our family's tradition to sponsor a family each Christmas through Love Inc in Huntington but this was the first year I personally delivered the gifts. I knew the Lord wanted me to personally connect with the family this year and I was looking forward to it. My first interaction was a phone call to let the mom know her family had been chosen and they would be receiving gifts this Christmas. I remember hearing silence on the other end and then a heartfelt "Merry Christmas to you!" She sounded young and very sweet.

Today I met her in person. To see the expression on her face when I told her that I found the one thing she's been looking for was priceless. Before I left she shared that she has no family who lives near and being sponsored for Christmas will now allow her to pay to have her van fixed. I take for granted that my family lives near by, that I can feed, clothe and buy wants for my children as well as take care of unexpected expenses. It was hard to hold back tears as she hugged me and sincerely thanked me.

2 Corinthians 9:6-15 - Sowing Generously....a scripture passage that inspires our family to continue to give out of our love for the Lord and the richness He has blessed us with.

No comments:

Post a Comment