Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fat Files

I love to read! I feel more empowered and more educated when I take the time to read. Wisdom is something that I never can have too much of and I'm always wanting more! I love getting wisdom through others who have learned the hard way. Saves me a lot of heartache at times. :) While I was preparing to be at home full time the Lord put this wonderful book in my hands. It had so much wisdom in it that I couldn't put it down. Things I never would have considered to be important. Prior to being a wife all my free time was spent studying for my degree and whatever classes that entailed. During that first year of being at home I believe the Lord transformed me in ways I couldn't even imagine. My whole world had drastically changed and it was time to start a new focus.

The book was called A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. The most life changing book I've ever read. I don't think it was because it is the best book out there but it was the book I needed to read at that time in my life so it became a life changing book for me. One of the things she talks about that I want to share in this post is called Fat Files. Fat Files are those topics that you want to spend time learning more. She suggests that we choose 5 things and stick to learning more and more about those 5 things throughout your life. At that time it was really hard for me to choose 5 things but over the years I've realized that I tend to pick up books that relate to the same topics. Here are my top 5:

*Spiritual growth
*Marriage
*Parenting
*Homemaking/organizing
*Business related materials specific to my business or business in general

I think all the books in my personal library fall under one of these categories.

I'd love to hear what you love to read up on and if you have any favorites that fall under any of my categories that you'd like to suggest to me.

2 comments:

  1. hmm...this is good! i think the books in our house fall under spritual growth, marriage, sports, and christian historical fiction - soon to be filled more with parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, I have to admit, this is the book I pick and read every time I am at Barnes and Noble.....I have added it to my wish list. :) I have to agree with Rachel, spiritual growth, marriage, parenting, sports with a few Christan fiction. One of my new favorites has been "The power of a praying, wife/parent/women" by Stormie Omartian. My mom got me the 3 in one for my birthday and it has been wonderful. Is is more of a day to day read/prayer....but it has revolutionized my prayer life. A book that I am hoping to read within the year is "The Pursuit of God"" by A.W. Tozer.....maybe check that one out.

    ReplyDelete