Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 Review of the Books I Read

I love to read and this post is a follow up to the post I wrote back in January http://leslieamorris.blogspot.com/2010_01_01_archive.html on my list of books to read for 2010. I only got through about 1/3 of them on my list but it was great to have a list to refer to when I was ready to choose another book. Some books were added. I thought it would be fun to review them since I always love book suggestions and always read the reviews on Amazon before purchasing a book.

Leslie's Favorites & Suggestions for your own personal library:
She's Gonna Blow!: Real Help for Moms Dealing with Anger by Julie Ann Barnhill - very real, uncut emotions that we moms can face at times. Loved her honesty and perspective.
Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs by Emerson Eggerichs - Changed my perspective on marriage.
Becoming a Chief Home Officer by Allie Pleiter - Loved this book!
Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living by Tsh Oxenreider - didn't really learn anything new because I read lots of organizing books; however, great simple reference to have on hand.
More Hours in My Day: Proven Ways to Organize Your Home, Your Family, and Yourself by Emilie Barnes and Sheri Torelli - still working my way through this book. I've been using it to do small projects around my house. Love it!

Good Reads but probably would be better off getting from the library or borrowing from a friend and then deciding if you want to put in your own personal library:

The Most Important Place on Earth: What a Christian Home Looks Like and How to Build One by Robert Wolgemuth - definitely some good truth but wasn't my personal style of book to glean practical tips from
Becoming More Than A Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa Terkeurst - I enjoyed this book and took some tips from it but probably won't use it for a reference. I would definitely suggest it to a friend or let her borrow my copy.
A Woman's Secret To A Balanced Life: Finding God's Refreshing Priorities for You by Lysa Terkeurst & Sharon Jaynes - Again, like the above book by Lysa...same type of book. Not as many practical tips as I anticipated.
The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play by Neil A. Fiore - this book is ok. It has some great tips but also some strange meditating things in it that I'm not so sure I agree with. I've not read cover to cover but glanced and read through a few chapters. I will keep it in my library and might go back and read more in depth later.

Books I was disappointed in...
Captivating, Unveling the Mysteries of A Woman's Soul by John Eldredge, Stasi Eldredge - definitely disappointed in this book. I had really high expectations and was let down. I couldn't get through the book. Disagreed with some ideas in the book so found it hard to continue reading.

Books I've purchased and still waiting to get through....
Boy-Sterous Living: Celebrating Your Loud and Roudy Life with Sons by Jean Blackner
That's My Son: How Moms Can Influence Boys to Become Men of Character
by Rick Johnson
Raising A Modern-Day Knight: A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood
by Robert Lewis
Treasuring God in Our Traditions
by John & Noel Piper
Sacred Sex: A Spiritual Celebration of Oneness in Marriage by Tim Alan Gardner & Scott M Stanley
Pray Big by Will Davis Jr.


2 comments:

  1. i'm so happy to see a follow-up post on this! i remember reading your list nearly a year ago.
    good job, friend! you did it! proud of your dedication in this area
    will we see a new goal for 2011?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm going to keep a running list all the time and continually choose from that list.

    ReplyDelete