About four months ago a friend suggested I look into Dr. Gladd. I looked at the website and thought it would be a good idea but kept putting it off. Saw an old friend who told me she was working with this office and highly recommended I go check it out. Jeff and I decided it would be a good idea to go this route. After my first consult I was excited because the NP didn't look at me confused as I've seen many times. To her I wasn't a difficult case. She said that most of what I was describing was interrelated and that the tests would probably show a low "good" bacteria count. When I told her all my symptoms she said, "do you ever feel good?" My answer..."well, I don't know any different." My goal was to find a reason for my frequent headaches and fatigue.
I don’t remember how long this
journey has been but I’ve been actively trying to figure out why I feel the way
I do for 6 years but really I’ve not felt good for several years prior. I just
didn’t have the stresses of kids to bring it out like it has the last few years, or the money to actively pursue what was wrong. The Lord has been so good and
faithful and I’m so glad He led me to the correct practice. Today I got my diagnosis:
1) I have a low count of good bacteria. A normal person needs an 80/20 ratio and I have 60/40. Because my body doesn’t absorb what it needs to keep functioning at an optimal level, it causes everything else I will explain below.
2) Adrenal fatigue – my cortisol levels are extremely low and the reason why I am tired all the time or why something as simple as getting groceries wipes me out for the day.
3) Thyroid – at first glance my thyroid levels look normal and the reason why when I had it checked 6 years ago everything came back ok. With a closer look and more testing they found that I produce what I need to but it doesn’t go where it needs to go.
4) Low vitamin D – I have extremely low amounts of vitamin D and most everyone that lives north of Atlanta suffers from this and doesn’t realize it.
5) No immunity – apparently my body does not produce much immunity at all which explains why I always pick up a bug from people I’m around. I’ve been like this for years.
6) My anxiety is a result of my hormones not producing what is needed (serotonin, I believe). This is a result from the low bacteria count.
I was excited to know that I have no food intolerances, yeast or parasites in my body. However, my diet is to still be restrictive due to getting my body back to optimal health. This means I’m to continue staying away from grains, dairy (I can get a little cheese…thank goodness!), and sugar. I also need to add a ton more veggies into my diet and try to eat more organic. I’m excited to have a nutritionist at my disposal. She’s only an email away and will be sending me 15 new recipes/meals. Meeting with her today was very educational and many things I had already started doing, I will just need to continue.
I will start to notice a difference in a few days but more noticeable in about a month. After three months my body should be where it needs to be. To give you an idea, I will be taking a probiotic that has 20 billion bacteria in it! I think what I currently take has 5 million. I have about 6 supplements I will be taking short term to “restart” my body and then will be able to cut back if all my blood tests come back good at my check-up in October. I’m so excited to have answers that make sense and the light at the end of the tunnel!!!
wow! amazing! i can't imagine how frustrated you must have felt all these years trying to get answers. :(
ReplyDelete