Monday, July 16, 2012

Last Day of School

I figured I should get around to finally posting this since we are starting our new year in less than a week!  I wrote this about 2 months ago but just needed to upload the pics to go with it.

It was a year ago we decided to take this crazy homeschooling journey we felt led to take.  I remember making the final decision while on vacation last May.  It's hard for me to believe that was a year ago.

Here we are on our last day!  


The boys are excited about their last day

A DQ icecream cake to celebrate our last day.  We got to share it with Grandma and Grandpa at their home. 
Here's my list of best things about homeschooling...

* I know exactly where my boys are academically and I'm not bound to a grade level for each subject.  Both boys advanced a grade ahead in Math this year and are excelling in it!  However, we also got to take 2 days on a lesson if we needed the extra day to master it.  Isaac is going at his own pace in a spelling program as well, while Kaleb is taking his time to learn how to read.   

* I'm taking responsibility for what my kids learn.  I was expecting the public school to do its job with my oldest son and realized he wasn't putting forth his best effort.  He was just getting by with what he could. 

*  The relationship I have with my boys is so great!  I was always so afraid homeschooling would ruin that.  It probably helps that by evening they want nothing to do with me and its all about DAD TIME!  

* We have so much flexibility that we can vacation when we want and take breaks when we need.  

* Peace knowing I'm doing what the Lord has asked of me.  I only had temporary peace while Isaac was in school for two years.  This is the first time I have felt a complete and full peace.

* Friendships!  Here I thought we'd be alone but that is far from the truth!  I get to choose which families my kids are involved with.  

*Fun experiences and field trips!  

There's always bad with the good, right??  So, to be fair, here's my list of the worst things about homeschooling...

* Some days it's all I can do to not scream and run away and hide.  

* There were lots of days, especially in the beginning, where my youngest would cry and fight.  However, we pulled through and he got so much better!  He's learning how to take something hard and work through it and his emotions.  

* The boys get tired of each other and some days I have to play referee all day long.  Those are exhausting days!  

* Some days we simply don't want to do school work but we do it anyways.  

* In the beginning I said it would just be easier to send them back to school.  Some days I still feel that way but I know it's all worth the sacrifice and those are the days the Lord sees me through with an extra measure of grace.  

I really didn't know what to expect this first year.  Overall, through the ups and downs, I'm very excited and pleased with how our first year went.  Looking forward to improving for next year!  

1 comment:

  1. I love that picture of you and your boys! And I love that you have PEACE!! :) Nothing better than being in the will of God :)

    ReplyDelete