Started off our morning like normal with breakfast and teaching. I like to teach the kids in the morning and leave the work they can do alone for last so that I can still get much needed things done. I think its important to realize that homeschooling doesn't have to be an all day thing from a mom's standpoint. I love designing our day so that I can do the most important first (give the kids' my attention) but still do other things I love. After the intense subjects are completed (usually takes 1.5 hours) the kids get a 15 min break. Today's break turned into a much longer break when I realized that Isaac was teaching himself....
The boys wanted to go outside and take pictures of birds (they actually got this idea the day before). Isaac is currently out exploring the backyard taking pictures, drawing and writing about the birds he is seeing. I don't think I could have created a more richer experience for him had I thought about it! This has been my vision with homeschooling...that the boys would be inspired to learn on their own.
While structure is important and still part of our schooling, the flexibility of homeschooling allows for my kids to learn on their own as well. Today makes up for all the hard, gray, long wintry days of being inside
Thanks, Lord, for a reminder that all the sacrifices are worth it.
that is so cool!
ReplyDelete