Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Real life temptations

Temptations

I faced a very real temptation last night. Some of you may laugh at it, but when the Lord speaks to your heart you can either 1)listen to it and obey it 2) explain it away and do what you want.

If you watch any TV at all you probably are aware that The Bachelor debuted last night.

**disclaimer – this post is not to judge or condemn but to share what the Lord is revealing to me.

I can’t judge a person who watches shows like this because I want to watch. I want to get caught up in the fantasy of a romance that is not real. There is so much danger in this and I’m thankful for a husband who holds me accountable to what I watch. A few years ago my husband jokingly (but meaning it in a serious way) would tell me I watch too much trash TV. He was absolutely right. From the time I was a teen I watched a soap opera very religiously. Over time I added to that romance novels, and shows like The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, and Grey’s Anatomy. I couldn’t wait until the evening these shows would come on. It was a good day if it was a Monday or Thursday evening! Then my husband started to comment on it. I didn’t like it and even got defensive about it.

***To take you a few years back – when I became a new mom and was home all the time, my TV was on all the time. This meant I wasn’t fully staying on top of my priorities. I asked the Lord to help me cut the daily soap opera out of my life and He did! I believe he delivered me from that about 4 years ago. I also stopped reading romance novels that did not have a Christian theme to them. I am so thankful that these are no longer temptations I face.

To bring you back to the current, each new season of evening shows, I would promise myself I would not watch it, only to fall prey to the addiction. Finally I began giving it to the Lord. I told him that I wanted to get rid of this junk in my life but I couldn’t and wasn’t strong enough. I asked him to take away the desire to want to do it. He did just that. After many episodes I would literally feel sick. Who wants to feel sick after an episode? I asked Him to do whatever it took, and He delivered!

Last night I told my husband that I wanted to watch The Bachelor but knew I shouldn’t. I knew that if I turned on the TV at all, I’d be hooked. So instead Jeff came to bed with me early (to protect me from turning the TV on), we read and were asleep before 9pm. I love that Jeff loves me enough to keep me accountable and I to him.

You may find this a bit extreme that I’m doing all these things to protect myself from mindless TV shows. Here’s what the Lord has revealed to me about these shows….

*they are not real

*People’s lives are ruined because of them

*much sin is involved (sex outside of marriage, inappropriate dress, etc)

*Christianity is mocked

* I’m subjecting my husband to temptations by having half naked women on the TV

* I’m being entertained by a man (men) being enticed by women – I have sons to raise and I do not want those women around my sons! Why should I allow myself to be entertained by them?

* I compare my marriage/spouse to the hero of the show and realize he doesn’t measure up b/c nothing is real

* the list could go on and on….

My point in sharing? I know there are many women out there who feel like I do and if you are tempted just like me….you are not alone. It’s hard to create an environment in our home that is pure. I want to share my experience and hope that we can all learn from each other and support each other in our quest to raise Godly children and model Godly family homes for them and others.

My battle isn’t over. There will be other shows that come along and there will be times of weakness. My prayer is that I stand firm in the Lord and what He desires even when it's hard or not the fun way. Even though I have eliminated all rated R movies from our viewing habits, some PG-13 movies can leave me feeling frustrated. It’s a process and road of faith that we travel. The Lord reveals to us at different times and in different ways. I’m thankful for how he shows me and molds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment