Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Golden Rule

The Golden Rule = do to others as you would do for yourself.

I'm teaching my boys this concept. Yesterday was one of many days that I've had to remind my boys to treat each other with love. I feel like a broken record everyday because they need reminded everyday. I explained what this was and told my 7 year old to ask himself the question "Would I like this if Kaleb did it to me?"

As I was giving him real life examples of application I heard the Lord whisper to my heart, "Leslie, I want you to practice this too." It wasn't a shock to hear this because I know my areas of struggle.

Take for example the person I love the most...my husband. Just the day beforehand I had gotten so angry with him and had used a toxic tone with him. I felt the Lord tell me that I need to use words of respect and love like I would want Jeff to use with me.

Then there are the times the Lord asks us to turn the other cheek when we've been wronged. Those are hard times too.

Or the time that its easy to gossip or vent to the wrong person.

I think of all the conflict that would disappear if we truly lived by the Golden Rule. I also think about the healthy relationships we would have, the purity in our words and loved lived out as Christ has asked us to love others as much as we love ourselves.

It's about surrender, not always being right, being ok with being wronged, and allowing the Lord to fill the deepest needs of our soul that we always look for someone else to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment