Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Perspective

I've been studying the Old Testament. I just love the Old Testament! There are so many crazy, wild stories in scripture.

Today's reading has got me thinking on marriage. It's the story of Tamar. Several weeks ago I picked up a historical fiction book on this couple and my eyes were opened to a world of marriage I've never been connected to.

A marriage that is chosen for you.
A marriage that is abusive.
A marriage that takes you away from family you'll probably never see again.
A marriage where sex is all about procreation.

I look at these women from scripture and wonder how they did it. Did they dread their time as a wife? Was it becoming a mother made it all worth it?

A stark contrast to our marriages today.

A marriage we get to choose.
A marriage we can get out of if it becomes abusive.
A marriage that allows us to choose where we live.
A marriage that is intimate in more ways than to produce offspring.

Yet the stresses of life can take a toll on any marriage. Today I choose to be thankful for the husband I chose, the husband who loves me, the husband who allows me to live near family and the husband who takes time to build intimacy with me.

What is it about your husband you are thankful for today?

2 comments:

  1. someone called joel 'gentle' today - they could tell that about him though not knowing him well, and that is such a compliment to us both :)
    are you reading francine rivers version of tamar's story? if not, i'll lend it to you thursday - but i'm feeling very de ja vu-ish about this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I read that one! I want to read the other ones. Just opens my eyes to scripture and what must have been like.

    ReplyDelete