Thursday, December 29, 2011

2012 Goal Setting Part 2

My goals for 2012:

Spiritual 
Spend unhurried 30 min time with the Lord every day.  Every day doesn't have to include scripture reading, praying, etc.  Some days I just need to rest in the Lord's presence.  My personality needs a "to do" to cross off so much so that my time with the Lord started to become that.  So I backed off "rituals" and have begun to truly seek out what it means to spend time in His presence.  Just starting this journey so I hope to have insights next year! 
Marriage
Spend 10 min uninterrupted time on the couch connecting about our day no matter how crazy or busy the day is.  One hour (minimum) date night each week - either at home or out of the house.  We will take turns planning it and inviting the other spouse to the event planned, wherever it is.  2 getaways together without kids and without business obligations....just for us.  This can be hard because of the traveling we do for my business and with the kids.  Seems we are always traveling for something but its never just for the two of us.  Our goal will be to get away in June for anniversary and in December for our "dating anniversary."  Work on loving and respecting each other every day in the little and big things we say and do.    
Family
I would like to spend uninterrupted time with each child for one hour each week where we play a game together, read or whatever other activity we can think of.  Then every 3 months take the boys out on a special date alone to do whatever they choose.  Each child will get 4 dates a year (2 with mom, 2 with dad).  This may increase but want to start out slowly.  Do family getaways twice a year.  One big vacation in the spring and one fall weekend outing (maybe a few more in between if time and money permits).  Family themed Date Nights once a month either at home or out of the house planned by Mom and Dad as a surprise to the boys.  
Teaching
Teaching the boys about the Lord by doing a Bible lesson and application each day.  Also asking the Lord for continual wisdom as I talk and teach them throughout the day about life and Him and how He is part of our lives.  This is something that is hard to measure like other specific goals.  It's also my goal to make learning fun by providing field trips and other fun learning experiences.  Since I only plan a quarter at a time I can say that visiting a Children's museum in OH is on the list in the next few months.  I want to make this an enjoying time for all of us.
Other Personal type goals...
Financial - purchase a new dining room table with my business commission, earn a new car for our family or pay cash for a used one, and work on an emergency supplies kit (3 day kit for each family member) should a natural disaster happen.  Great ideas on pinterest for this.  Included in that emergency list is to think about ways to make our home more functional under an emergency (put in a wood stove for heat and cooking abilities - while I hate to think about what could happen, these small things would be an incredible help should we need it).
Heathly living - Work on 6 week exercise programs that I switch on and off to keep exercising on a regular basis that works for my body.  I'd love to figure out how to start swimming on a regular basis.  We are also working on better eating habits as a family by adding more fresh food into our diet and cutting out processed stuff.  
Get more done - by eliminating distractions...(more to come later)
Friendships - intentionally schedule a girlfriend night every time we are on school break (about 4 times a year), invite couples over to our home at least 4 times a year and as the Lord leads call and make connections with women in my life.  

Here is just an outline I will use to develop a monthly challenge to myself that I will invite you to join me on.  Each month I will focus on a new habit that will help me reach these 2012 goals.  

What are your 2012 goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment