Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Love Languages


Have you read The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman?  If not, I believe its a must for all parents.  Most of us have probably heard the concept since its been around for awhile but it truly works.  I am in a study with other homeschooling moms that meets once a month and this is the book we are studying right now.  It's been so great to hear other mom's stories about knowing and using their child's love language.  If you have really small kids, you may find it helpful to read through and then pick it up again later when your kids are a bit older (age 4 or 5).  This is what I've done and it's been great.  

A couple weeks ago I wrote a blog here about feeling so loved by my husband.  A light bulb came on last night after talking about this book.  Now to give you a little background info, I have no idea what my love language is. The last time I took a survey on it everything was the same number or 1-2 points off.  Nothing showed substantially higher.  I laugh and tell Jeff that my dad was right all those years ago when he warned Jeff he was marrying a high maintenance woman!  I need to be shown love in all ways.  If I get too much of one, it does not fill me up like a variety of all.  A few weeks ago Jeff hit on 4 languages and I felt like I could do anything that week!  He hit acts of service, quality time, gifts and affirmations.  The poor guy has his work and creativity cut out for him to make his wife feel loved!  

I have noticed this with friendships too.  I feel loved by friends with quality time, affirmations, gifts, acts of service, and physical touch (hugs).  I find I'm the closest to women who show these various things to me at some point in time in our friendship (not all the time). One woman came into my life about 3 years ago that affirmed me and hugged me every time she saw me.  I had never felt so loved by a woman (in fact, letting women get close to me is hard).  Since then I have felt more friendships blossom and I wonder if she had a role in that.      

No comments:

Post a Comment