Friday, April 15, 2011

Projects

I love to make a plan to accomplish projects, but following it is another story. However, I have learned that with a plan I accomplish so much more than if I try to navigate without one. I've been inspired by a couple resources I will share with you.

First of all, I'll share what I've been inspired to do. Through a website you can visit here, I read about a challenge to create a list of 52 organizing projects that need to be done, and the goal is to work on one each week for an entire year. While that would be great, I know me and one a week won't happen. However, I may be able to work on 5 one week and none for the next 4! It seems like my life is either calm or crazy from week to week. Instead of creating a list of 52 organization projects, I created a list of things to do that never get done in my daily routine. Things like....
Create a family mission statement
Clean out the scrapbook/picture drawer
Clean out files
Organize clothes the boys are not wearing yet
Repaint the dining room, etc
I think my list is up to 55 already! Some are definitely more urgent than others.

I'm excited about working on these random projects because I will actually be home more starting June! I have made a commitment to not replace ministries that are coming to an end for me. This means more free time at home! This also means I will only be serving in one ministry leadership position instead of two. It also means that I won't be making 3 trips to Huntington each week to take my son to preschool. I won't even know what to do with my time so I hope I keep the commitment to stay home. Sometimes it's hard to slow down when you are use to being so busy.

My goal is to work on something each week. The list doesn't just include things for me but projects for my husband as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can tackle and accomplish together in the next several months.

The other inspiration I received was from a book called Throw Out Fifty Things. While that may not seem like much of a challenge in our houses full of stuff, it becomes more of a challenge when all the shoes you get rid of counts as 1 item and the same goes for all "like" items. This project has encouraged me to go through each room and each item and make a decision if it really benefits my life or it's just taking up space.

The other resource that has been so helpful and something I refer back to time and time again is More Hours In My Day.

I hope you will join me on this journey to live life on purpose and get rid of stuff that brings us down. I'm looking forward to sharing how I do each week with you! Please comment on what is working for you and the things you'd like to accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. Leslie, Great job on trying to rid your life of the unnecessary! Sometimes the undone task can be daunting, but liberating once completed! I love making lists, so as I add new tasks, I work until they are done. I love the feeling of marking things off, and the visual finality that it brings. I can't wait to hear how you progress through your projects! Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete