Thursday, April 21, 2011

100th post - Blessings

Here's the 100th post! The other day I wrote what I thought would be my big 100th post that I was going to post today but I have something better on my heart to share. I could have written about so many things and reflected on many things but have chosen to focus on my husband and how the Lord has blessed me beyond anything I could have ever dreamed up on my own.

Over 11 years ago this man came into my life that stole my heart. He was quiet, gentle, full of faith, and completely opposite of me....and I fell in love. This man changed my life in ways that I will be forever grateful for.

If our relationship is like a dance, we have days that we glide across the dance floor together, getting all the steps right. Then there are days that we are stepping on each other's toes and pulling each other our own direction...the way we want to go, not necessarily the way we are meant to go. Many factors can have us going in different directions....personal visions and strengths, growing spiritually at different speeds, raising and disciplining children, stress and weaknesses along with day to day living stuff. I have found that it is so easy to begin to focus on the 10% of my marriage that frustrates me instead of the 90% that I love. Jeff will even tell you that the 10% can sound like its 90% of our marriage when I'm having a moment of weakness.

When I begin to focus on the 10% of frustrations in my marriage I'm reminded that I was not designed to lead or be alone. But for Adam no suitable helper was found.....Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of man, and he brought her to the man. Genesis 2:20-22. What a beautiful picture of how the Lord designed a marriage relationship to work. Unfortunately sin entered the picture and for some 10% is the good and 90% is the bad. In my life, I know that the 10% is a matter of being content. I want to compare the 10% of what drives me nuts about my husband to the strengths of other men and marriages and think "why can't Jeff be like that..." This is dangerous territory and will destroy a marriage for sure.

Last week I was reading in the Old Testament in Deuteronomy 8:6-11. The Lord says when we are blessed beyond measure and have everything we need...praise Him! So, I've been praising Him for all He has given. In the midst of my praising I find that my heart becomes more content with the 10% that isn't just how I want it and peace and joy fill my heart and I can enjoy all that the Lord has given to me. I encourage you to praise the Lord for the good in your husband no matter how much or how little it is. As your praise increases, your heart will change.

I will close this post with how the Lord blessed us together.....the picture says it all.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Leslie!! Again, I often admire your vulnerability and willingness to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! yay 100 :) what an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete