Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Seasons of Motherhood so far...

As I plan for my oldest to turn 7 in just a few short weeks, I think back to how life has evolved as a mother. I'll give you a glimpse of my life and my growth...

*From 2003-2007 I was either making a baby or nursing one. I had a couple months off in between but I pretty much sacrificed my body to my children for 4 straight years. I look back and wonder how I did it! I absolutely loved nursing and still miss it at times! But I think back to how my life revolved around feeding my children and how physically exhausting that time of my life was. I had to plan my day based on feedings and naps. But those were precious years of snuggles and enjoying their sweet natures. This phase was all about survival!

*Starting in 2007 I entered into a season that I was not prepared for....the terrible twos that were followed by the horrible threes. No one ever told me about the horrible threes! They could talk by three and boy did they let you know what they thought! This was the hardest time of my mothering. I had a sweet perfect little boy turn horrible on me. Family gatherings were the worst at the in-laws. When he'd act up I could just feel my body getting so hot and the thoughts racing through my mind..."they will think I'm a terrible mother b/c I can't handle my child..." What a learning experience! You add potty training and everyone's opinion of how you should handle behavior = a very frustrated and worn down momma. I tried everything which led to disaster. To spank or not to spank? I went back and forth so many times. My poor Isaac...its a wonder he has turned into such a great boy! In all honesty, four didn't get much better. It was during this time that the Lord brought an amazing mentor into my life that helped me make sense of it all. I made changes and saw fruit in my child. I'm thankful the Lord makes 2s, 3s, and 4 year olds so cute! It's the silver lining during this challenging times.

*2009 we turned a corner that I'm forever grateful for. My son turned 5 and I saw drastic behavior changes. He was a little boy now, no longer a toddler and he started to obey on a regular basis! Praise the Lord! He began school and I began to see such maturity in him.

*Here we are at 2011 and I am watching my son grow and show so many strengths in his character and work ethic. I'm so proud of him! I haven't ruined him after all in my inexperience as a mother!

**I'm still in the challenging stage with my youngest but I know that the season will end soon. He's such a joy, though, and his sweetness gets me through his long drawn out tantrums. It is easier this time around because I have an older child verses a younger one during this time. I also know when its time to fight the battle or just drop it. Even though my boys are different, the strength and wisdom I've gained from going through this season before has helped me tremendously.

Lessons I've learned...
*Moms will judge me no matter what I do but I know with the Lord's help and seeking him daily, He will fill in where I lack. Thank you, Lord!
*Consistency pays off even if you don't see fruit right away.
*The second time around is easier because you know what to expect even if the child is completely different.
*Don't forget to pray about specifics (potty training, fit throwing, etc). Sometimes I forget but when I do pray, things turn around
*All seasons come and go and I'm thankful for them all
*There's good and bad in all seasons...hold on to the good and learn from the bad
*Encourage other moms at all times and only offer help when asked (still learning to apply this b/c I want to so bad to help another mom from my mistakes but it isn't always best for her).
*Invest in wisdom through a mentor who is 5-15 years ahead of you, a MOPS group or similar or a group of mothers in the same phase of life, books and seminars. I don't know where I'd be as a mom without friends, mentors and programs designed to encourage moms to raise Godly children. There's always something to learn!

I have many more seasons left to experience but I have to say that right now is my favorite and I hope that I will say that the rest of my life because that means I'm enjoying each season at the moment! My prayer is that I continue to train my children for the Lord, to love Him and love His word, and of course to love others. So thankful for the Father's love for me and how he helps me mother when I fall short.

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your encouragement to pray about little things. A testimony: the other day I prayed about Annalyn's shyness, feeling like it might be too small of a thing for God to care about. That afternoon we ran into someone we don't know well at the store and he commented on her beautiful princess dress (yes she was wearing it in public) and she looked him in the eye, twirled for him, and then said thank you. I was shocked! God does care about the little things, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the survival stage right now :). I know they won't be young forever and your post makes me realize how fast they'll grow up :). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete