Monday, February 28, 2011

Lesson from Nature

Yesterday was week #2 of no media day and again it was great! We ended our great day by allowing the boys to stay up an extra hour to watch Nature on PBS since they both took late naps. (I'm not legalistic about our media guidelines, I wanted to get rid of the mindless watching/playing).

I was quite fascinated by this show. Funny thing is that I've never been interested in nature and animals until it became an interest of my boys. Now I do find it quite amazing to watch.

A great reminder to me while watching was this idea of how animals teach their young. The young simply watch and learn. They do what they see. It's essential for their survival to learn these skills needed.

I was thinking how this relates to us. Our children will do what they see (good or bad). But it also brought this question to mind, "How many times do I just talk at my kids instead of modeling or showing them?" We can get lazy as parents. It's easier to talk than to show. Jeff and I are guilty of this at times and I'm so thankful the Lord puts people and lessons into my life to show me how to better teach my boys.

What are ways you model behavior to your children?

2 comments:

  1. have you guys watched the planet earth series? joel and i have just begun it and we are glued! the filming is amazing, but the stories and education is even more so! if we do homeschool, i am so excited to incorporate this way of learning for our children

    ReplyDelete
  2. i second the planet earth recommendation. it is AMAZING. hmm... i might have to put it back at the top of my netflix queue

    ReplyDelete