Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Lord's Provision Financially - final part

There are two marking moments in our lives that completely changed the direction we were headed financially. The first came in 2005 when we first heard of Dave Ramsey and the second came in 2008 when we visited Gateway Church in Texas.

When we first heard of Dave’s teachings, we knew it was just what we needed living on such a limited income. We began to implement his budget and baby steps. Very soon we were headed in a very positive direction financially. Three years later we were encouraged to get crazy about getting out of debt. Before we wanted to be out of debt but it wasn’t a priority. As our income increased, so did some of our living expenses by choice. It felt good not to feel so tight and have a little extra to go on a date or get away for a weekend.

The summer of 2008 we were in TX for business and got to spend time with Jeff’s aunt and uncle which meant going to church with them. I know it was divine that we were there that particular morning. The pastor was teaching from his book The Blessed Life. We were so intruiged that I bought the book upon returning home and couldn’t put it down! The best read of my life!

In a nutshell it encouraged us to:

*Give more

*Get out of debt immediately!

We decided to do it. We were going to get crazy about debt and start living very frugally again. We had a 2 year plan to pay our college loans off (our only debt besides our mortgage). After we made that decision something happened. Jeff lost his wedding band in his parents’ pond. I was devastated but we had just made this plan and we were going to stick to it. He was without a band for several weeks until his birthday and then he used gift money to purchase a new one. Then the Lord put it on our hearts to increase our giving. “WHAT, Lord?!? Are you serious?” It was undeniably from the Lord so we listened. There went the 2 year plan! Every extra we had found in our budget would now be going back to the Lord in what we call a “giving fund” that is completely separate from our 10% tithe. This giving fund had been on my heart for months and now the Lord was showing us how to have it. We didn’t more money, we simply needed to weed out some unnecessary spending to create it. We paid nothing extra on our loans for a solid 3 months. I was really feeling defeated and kept asking the Lord if we truly heard him. I am not kidding when he would answer, “YES.” It might be through something on the radio, a reading or someone speaking that would confirm we were in His plan.

Then the unexpected happened. Only God can do this! Jeff received a bonus from work that nearly paid the college loans off in full! We were expecting a certain amount for Jeff’s bonus from what he received the year prior. It was doubled this particular year! I’m not joking! Sounds too good to be true…only God can do this! Then our tax return finished the remaining balance and we took a trip to Disney World to celebrate.

We’ve not seen this kind of money since.

Our story is unique and part of our personal journey. However, I know that the Lord is doing this in other people’s lives. I encourage you to seek Him and His kingdom and allow His ways to be your ways. We still mess up and spend money as we shouldn’t. We will always be a work in progress like every other area of our lives. However, the Lord has proven faithful time and time again. We’ve come a long way the last 7 years and I am so thankful I listened to that call on my heart that was so undeniable. I would have missed out on so many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment