A follow-up to my previous $$ blog....
I was thinking that it would be encouraging for me to share our financial journey in hopes that many of you can relate and find hope in your own circumstances. It began back in 2002....
It was the week or two before our wedding and the house that would be our first home was struck with lightening. It hit our well pump = digging an entire new well. The price was not pretty! Thankfully we had borrowed more college loan money than we needed so we had some cash saved for a rainy day. The loan money was running interest free at that time because we both were college students. I think the total was like $3000! Great way to start our married life. :) We thanked the Lord for the money we had and paid it.
Fast forward a few months and several other mishaps financially and Jeff and I were searching for some answers. We were asking the Lord what was going on. Was He teaching us something? We quickly found out YES, He was! He revealed to us that our tithe was not what He wanted. We heard Him and changed it. (SIDE NOTE: Jeff and I believe that 10% is the Lord's money...period...there's no negotiation that changes that no matter how bad our financial situation gets). We began tithing as the Lord wished us to even though it technically looked like we could not afford to do it. We trusted the Lord and leaned on His provision that 90% of our income would provide, which wasn't much at that time. Jeff was working as a sales clerk at Builders Mart and I had a very part time job making $6 an hour at the college. Our income together was not much.
So after we had all these expenses arise we turned to the Lord, heard Him and started making changes immediately. Just days later we received a check in the mail for over $1200! I can't make this stuff up if I wanted to! Long story short we received a refund on our honeymoon because I had written them a letter of complaints. I never called, simply wrote a letter and this check showed up in the mail days after we committed our money back to the Lord for His glory. I don't believe it to be a coincidence but a confirmation from the Lord that He was pleased.
I could go into a sermon on tithing and why believers need to do it and how you can never out give God because He will always provide, but I think you'll tune me out. I think you'll want to hear my personal story more than my convictions.
This was our very first provision from the Lord and certainly not our last! My story will continue later....
No comments:
Post a Comment