Friday, November 19, 2010

$$$

Money....thinking about it this morning as I prepare for Jeff and I to review our finances for the upcoming 2011 year. Over the last few months we've been talking about all the things we really should replace and we laugh and say "add it to the list..." I wonder if that list will ever just disappear. Probably not. I think we'll always want more than we have. I fight this temptation daily.

I want...a bigger home, a basement to send the kids to play, a hot tub, a new bed, new dining room table, fireplace......these are all very nice things and maybe someday the Lord will bless me with them. However, I begin to get a little upset that I can't have them now. I believe it goes back to this unrealistic expectation. The expectation that by 30 you will be where you want to be. We'll have the income to purchase the home of our dreams, drive nice cars and have all the luxuries we could ever want (in a middle class sort of way). I'm not sure where that expectation comes from but it leaves me feeling empty and frustrated. When I have so much to be thankful for! So many blessings the Lord has provided over the last 8 years of being out on our own.

As we plan for 2011 my desire is that the Lord will change my heart to be thankful for what He chooses to give us and that we will be the best stewards of all He has planned whether its saving, giving away, or simply adding a few things from our list.

My favorite financial resources:
www.daveramsey.com
Financial Peace University Series by Dave Ramsey (any of his books too)
The Blessed Life by Robert Morris

3 comments:

  1. Leslie, this really hits home for me! Try to keep in mind that you are actually ahead of most people our age- no debt, nice home of your own, don't seem to have to worry about your budget being extremely tight...

    Not all of us are even close to there yet. I certainly expected to own a home by the time I was 30... Many friends of mine who are several years younger are now purchasing their second or third homes, take nice vacations, etc... but because we chose academia, we are "behind" on all of those goals... we have a LOT of school loan debt (~100K), continue to rent since we don't have long term jobs at this point and no savings, and the list goes on. I try not to dwell on it as well, but the little green monster can't help to show it's ugly face sometimes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Chantel. :) I would love to be in your shoes financially! I constantly have to remind myself that we are serving God and right where he wants us and that is more important than owning a house, having a big retirement plan, etc. No matter how much we have or don't have, it's always a struggle, though, isn't it? Perhaps that's why the root of all evil is the love of money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, I have been there, though. I can remember the time I didn't have enough $$ to buy my child clothes but he always had something to wear. The Lord always provided and the stories I could share. In fact, I may just do that in a blog. It would be fun to remember! My prayer is that my heart will always be content no matter what our financial status is.

    ReplyDelete