Have you ever had so much to do that you only wanted to focus on the tasks at hand even though there were more important priorities to tend to? I've been there many times. Yesterday the Lord taught me a lesson about that.
All week long business paperwork, bills to pay, school papers, etc had begun to collect on my desk making it impossible for me to really see what needed done. I was excited for Friday to arrive because I was hoping that I would have an entire morning to myself at home while Kaleb was at preschool to catch up. The list was long but I would be alone for about 2 hours or more to tackle it. Friday morning arrived and at 5:45am Jeff was sharing that his desk at work was about 3 layers high of papers scattered everywhere. This is not an uncommon conversation. He was sharing some important things that needed to be done and how hard it is for him to keep up. With Jeff's job, he's interrupted many times a day to tend to employees and customers and then when he gets back to his desk, he's got to figure out what he was working on prior. I certainly couldn't handle a job like that! I like to stay focused for an extended time. So, I suggested that he get his paper under control so he can stay on top of things better. After talking a little longer we agreed that maybe I should stop in and help him get organized. This meant my plan A of coming home for a few hours by myself was not going to happen.
Let me back up a few days prior....I pulled out an old Bible study book I've had for probably over 10 years but never have finished it fully. It's called Women of the Bible. Lately I've felt like I wanted to get back to the basics of what it is God has created me for. What should my priorities as a woman be? A great place to research would be scripture. So I dusted off my book and started digging. I just love how God's word is so alive and at work! The Genesis passage I read taught me new truths (or rather reminders of truths I had forgotten) that applied to my marriage. The Lord revealed to me that I was created to be Jeff's companion. To me, that meant that I am Jeff's partner...I've been created to help him enjoy life more fully. While that is also true of Jeff to me, the Lord spoke to my heart about my role to him. How many times do I have a to do list for him yet, I am suppose to be his helper? I let that truth sink in and soften my heart. How could I better his life?
Well, the opportunity came Friday morning when I set aside my to do list, to help him. I spent 2 hours with him in his office and we got so much done. He could actually see the top of his desk! Even though I couldn't really decipher documents, etc I was there to encourage the filling of the trash can. Jeff's a pack rat and I am not. I am good for him b/c I can reason with him into throwing something away and why we don't need it.
Once Kaleb and I returned home we had a quick lunch and Kaleb headed up to bed. He didn't fight me and slept a good while. During his nap time I accomplished all on my to do list! It's so like the Lord to help us when we put his priorities first! There are many afternoons that I can't get much done but yesterday was different and I truly believe its because my heart was in the right place.
Thank you, Lord, that you are constantly shaping me into the wife you created me to be!
To top it off we had a wonderful evening as a family just hanging out together, playing wii, eating hamburgers and french fries, and watching a movie. Later that evening I got a wonderful note from a friend who God is blessing multiple times over because she and her husband are going against the norm and living as they feel called. God blesses us even when we can't see what's ahead.
yay :) thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete