Every year I want to make Christmas memorable and every year I fall short of my expectations. Jeff and I grew up with very different backgrounds so its always been a struggle to find common ground. Not just common ground as a couple, but common ground where we feel we are still honoring the Lord. There are so many ways we can take our eyes off the Lord during this time and we want to encourage healthy habits and a tradition that honors the Lord.
As we continue in this journey I am taking a step of faith to commit to a December long journey to study the life of Christ with my kids. We'll talk about the details of Christ's birth, the characteristics of Christ, what Christ wants from us and how we can live out our faith. We'll also cover Christmas traditions as well. I'm excited! I'm almost done with the layout. I'm actually revamping an idea I got from a MOPS speaker a few years ago. Each day the kids get to open a gift that relates to the topic. It will take some planning which is why I'm starting early. I have an entire month to get it all ready.
I would love to hear memorable Christ focused traditions from you.
I too am going to be following the same plan - however, with my children being younger I think we will start this year with just doing a few here and there and not commit to every night. Maybe more than one on the weekends. Looking forward the the plan building as they grow older and adding to it each year. That will be the first present under the tree this year. Good luck with it and maybe we can trade notes on how it goes.
ReplyDeleteTracy