Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hate

I was asked this question....."How badly do you have to hate someone to not tell them about Jesus and Everlasting Life?"

Very thought provoking. Hate is such a strong word so I'm really thinking about this in regards to selfishness. Do we "hate" when we act in selfish ways? In my opinion we don't share Jesus with others because we are purely selfish (what will she think of me? What if she doesn't accept what I give to her?) and the reason we don't serve the poor and demonstrate love (which I believe that demonstrating is just as or more important) is becuase we don't have the "time" which is purely a mix up of priorities. Can you tell this is an area the Lord's working on Jeff and me? It's hot button for me right now. :)

We are in a dicsipliship class right now and the purpose of the class is to prepare us for ministry and guidelines are that we:
1. Know how to bring someone to Christ by using scripture
2. Be currently serving the poor while taking this class
3. Learn how to take a "vacation" with the Lord - planning retreats alone with Him
4. Of course studying the word at a deeper level with homework assignments and exams - feels like we are in college again

I'm so thankful for this opportunity to dig deeper in the word and learn how to disciple others. I wish so many more would commit to this. Our purpose is to love the Lord our God with our all our heart and with all our soul and to love others (and loving others is to serve them and share with them). Pretty simple yet we have so many distractions.

However, as women I think we have to remember that the most precious souls are our children. As our children are younger, we moms, need to make our children our ministry....making sure that others are not discipled more than our children are. I've been guilty of that! Have you? Have you ever put so much time in a Bible study either for yourself or one that you lead and yet don't have time to teach your children a Bible lesson in that same day? Do you have time to run out every day of the week whether it be sports, activities, Bible studies, ministry opportunities, etc yet fail to give your family space to just be together, to eat dinner together, to allow for relaxing and communication? The Lord gives us two simple commands....Love Him above all else and love others. What do you love more than him and who do you love more than the precious children He has given to you?

I challenge myself and others who are reading....

1 comment:

  1. I agree! How much of our "Christian lives" do we shield in order to protect our "image"? How sad it is that pride and selfishness come between us and people and Christ. I am so guilty! Thanks Leslie for this blog!

    ReplyDelete