This morning I read an article on why we should never eat pork. I'm a little bit bummed. Ok, a lot bummed. Since changing our diet I have added a lot of pork to our diet for protein variety, especially for breakfast. I've not put on weight, in fact I've lost weight even though we are eating a lot more high fat foods. However, this food will now have to go on the forbidden list. :( Why? It is high in Omega 6 fatty acids that causes inflammation. I struggle with inflammation on a daily basis and couldn't understand why recently, even after diet changes, I couldn't get rid of these headaches. I have realized that I've added a ton of pork which could be the culprit. So now added to no wheat, no sugar, and no dairy (for now) I will add pork.
So how does that make food an idol? Well, I'm quite frankly getting a little irritated about knowing too much about food. I struggle with what to feed my family, struggle with the cost of "real food" and struggle when I go to social gatherings and realize I really shouldn't eat any of the "good food" provided.
I've realized how food driven we are in social gatherings because I can't eat all the good stuff I always look forward to. I honestly get a little depressed about eating outside of our home (with friends, at restaurants, family gatherings, etc) because when we are with people, food I shouldn't eat is usually present. It makes me want to avoid it all together. Now that is just a ridiculous thought! I should not be going to these gatherings for the good food but for the good fellowship and time to spend with loved ones.
Then I have to question what role does food play in my life? If I get bummed about not being able to eat my favorites and wanting to seclude myself because I really shouldn't eat the food in social gatherings, I'd consider that putting food before relationships and putting food before the Lord and how He desires I care for my body.
A whole new perspective when your health depends on cutting it out. What a process....
And then there is the opposite extreme that is easy to fall into also. = relying on our diets (and CONTROL of our diet would fall into this too) more than on God. Balance is so tricky!
ReplyDeleteWhenever we are at other's homes, I eat what is placed in front of me - no matter what it is. I look at it this way - I'd rather put myself on the back burner and put that person (especially if they cooked it) in first place. I think the relationship is more important than what I eat. At a restaurant with others - I try and order healthy but I don't stress about it. It's not the point - they are.
ReplyDeleteI definitely understand where you gals are coming from! At the point I'm at in my journey to get well, I have to get serious about what I'm putting into my body or I'll live like this forever. At some point I hope to be able to enjoy these "treats" and gatherings without worrying about what I can and can't eat. I have found that I'll choose the best option that is offered. From what I research, one you take the intolerance foods away you can re-introduce them later. I hope to be able to do that!
ReplyDeleteOh, I hope you didn't take my post wrong. I totally think you should avoid foods you are allergic to or intolerant to! I guard my children's food like a nazi and view dairy as poison going into their bodies! I about fell off my chair when a good friend hinted that I was being too strict about the whole thing and should let Jordyn have a bite of a cookie that contained dairy. Seriously? Poison is poison no matter the quantity! :)
ReplyDeleteJust saying that since I've had to keep my children dairy free for the last 2 years (and myself for the first year), I know it is tough to not make controlling food just as much of an idol as not-controlling it!