I occasionally will hear, "I could NEVER homeschool. I could NEVER be a stay at home mom." If only I could sit down over coffee with these women to share my story. I never intended to be a stay at home mom and I certainly never intended to be a homeschooling mom. It's funny how the Lord works.
I distinctly remember a conversation Jeff and I had while engaged. I told him I had no desire to be at home when we started a family. He was a little shocked because he only knew life with his mom at home. My reasons??
*What would I do ALL DAY LONG?
*Wouldn't we need my income?
*Besides, I had the perfect job situation...work 9 months and have 3 off in the public school system.
Fast forward a few years later when the Lord put the call to homeschool on my life...
*There's no way I'm teaching our kids how to read.
*Isaac is too strong willed to be homeschooled. He needs the structure of the classroom.
*I'm not doing it just because your family did it (to my husband who was homeschooled).
*What about socialization?
*What if the boys don't listen to me?
*What if I hate it?
*What will my family think?
*Who is going to argue we are making the wrong decision?
*Will we be sheltering our kids too much?
*Will the boys become socially awkward?
*Will I have a life outside of our home?
Bottom line...they were all excuses the enemy was feeding me. I believe when we try to "argue" our point we are in fact making excuses and trying to convince ourselves that we are truly doing the right thing when we know in our hearts we are only trying to justify it. When I stopped with the excuses, humbly went to the Lord and asked him what HE desired, my whole world turned upside down. The excuses no longer mattered and my heart changed.
What would I encourage these ladies with? When you are called, you are able. Simply go before the Lord and ask Him what He desires of you and your family and firmly go forth with confidence that He has directed you. I love the saying, "God doesn't always call the equipped, He equips the called."
Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete