Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Insecurity

I just finished up the book So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore.  It was intense!  It took me nearly a month to get through it.  Thought I would share some things that I learned through this process.

Insecurity's best cover is perfectionism - Yikes...that's me!
Some factors of insecurity that I can relate to:
  Strong desire to make amends
  Dread the backlash of people more than God (in some situations)
  Having someone upset with me is very unsettling even if I was on the right side of the conflict
  Loss of favor and approval is excruciating to people with insecurity
  Obsessing when someone is angry with me
  Anxious for no reason
  Hurts my feelings when someone doesn't like me
The insecure person has unrealistic expectations about love and relationships (my husband can attest to this!)
If we let too much ride on a relationship, a blow out is inevitable
We're not jealous of people in whom we see nothing admirable.  In fact it is the fear that they have something we don't that makes us most insecure.
Most psychological explanations see the desire to be superior and in control as compensation for feelings of weakness, inferiority and low self-esteem.

I then proceeded to list all my insecurities...which there was quite freedom in doing!  Even reading back over that list today I can see areas where I've recognized my insecurity poking through.  Once I recognize it I can ask the Lord for deliverance in this area.  He's been so faithful to do that!  I feel so much stronger in some of these insecurities now than I did when I started the book a month ago.

Now, I'd love to have women join me in reading this again and discussing together.  So that together we can heal from our insecurities to be all the Lord has designed for us!  I'm sure I'll get even more reading it another round!

1 comment:

  1. I am reading it right now for a book study.....would love to discuss along the way with you! :) (via facebook maybe??) We aren't far into it, so I am anxious to see what God will reveal to me. But the one thing that has resonated with me thus far is Insecurity being disguised by perfectionism....that is me too a tee as well.

    ReplyDelete