Monday, October 3, 2011

Plan in Action

Ok, so I said I want to simplify so here are some baby steps we are taking this week....

*Cancelling Netflix like I mentioned (there is a chance we'll keep it 2 more weeks to get our full month's payment that has already been paid).

*Technology free zones - this is when we will turn our phones off and shut the computer down.  (We are able to shut our phones down because we still have a landline and our family always calls us on this so if you ever need us, look up our phone number and you can reach us on that). If you decide to implement this in your home you may also need to add...TV and gaming systems.  Phones and computer are more of a distraction in our home so that is our focus.  The TV only comes on after the kids are in bed and we are ready to just relax for the evening with a movie or TV show.  Technology free zones will be (for the most part) during these times....
        *School for the boys
        *On evenings that everyone is home together (3-4 times per week)
        *Most Sundays
This does not mean we will become legalistic to a "rule" but more of a guideline so we stop mindlessly checking texts and being online when we are home together.  Since I run a business I can be answering texts and emails all evening sometimes so this will put an end to me becoming distracted in this way.  Working from home and can feel like I'm never "off" work so I have to put those boundaries in.

This set-up allows us to be available to our phones and emails during most of the day and on evenings that we are not together.  When I'm working in the evenings and after the kids are in bed, Jeff will have his time to surf the net or just be available to answer calls and texts because it doesn't take time away from each other. Or we might decide to research vacations together online.  So it just means when we do get online, its a conscious decision to do so and not just something we do out of habit or avoidance to what is important.  

*A note to moms who stay at home and find the internet or phone distracting....this is a hard one because we can get lonely at home and then we feel guilty for checking facebook multiple times a day or reading blogs, etc.  Here's my thoughts on this....plan time to do this so you don't feel guilty about it.  Plan your work, do it and then have the freedom to grab a hot drink, blanket and your laptop to do some online fun.  Watch your favorite TV show if you wouldn't be embarrassed to share you watch it with others.  :)  My plan for this is to create a plan and reward myself with online time.  Each day I will have an A list of must do that will get done as early in the day as possible.  Next up I create a "B" list that is a should do.  I also want to make sure this is done before I mindlessly get online to avoid my list.  Then a C list is want list and is only if you want to get to it.  You must realize that you cannot and will not get everything done....so stop trying!  An exception to this is that I have a quiet time scheduled in my house where we all go to our rooms for quiet playing, nap, etc.  During this time I will get online even if my A list isn't done simply because I do homeschool and usually put in a full morning's work and allow myself some down time either reading, watching a movie or getting online.

*Oh, one more thing.  We are planning to actually take some junk laying around to Goodwill this week.  The junk that's been sitting out for months just waiting to go.  That will help me feel like our space is being better used!

No comments:

Post a Comment