I'd prefer to do what I love.....
Unhurried time with my boys
Downtown in the evening with my husband
Lead a women's ministry for women
Be a part of the Worship Arts Leadership team at my church
Run a part time business from home
Coffee with girlfriends
Date Nights with Jeff
Snuggling time reading or watching movies with the boys
homemade, healthy meals and snacks
All while still doing all the wife and mom duties that are important to me
Instead I found myself stressing over...
a dirty house
an overflowing desk filled with paperwork that I can't keep up on
unhealthy meals
guilt because I couldn't keep on anything
not being able to do what I love well
I realized I could not do it all or have it all. Even though I work from home, I could either use those hours to further my business, my home or ministries (which I love!) or clean my house. Plus I love to lead and have a passion for serving in specific ministries. All of this takes time. So, it was time for some help! When I weighed the cost in the form of $$ to pay a cleaning crew to come twice a month and hire an office assistant to come for 3-6 hours a week I realized that my sanity was much more precious than any thing I could purchase with that money.
I heard of a top executive in my company who chose to live in a small house, wear simple clothing and live moderately for several years while making it to the top all because she chose to hire help. She could have invested in a larger house, designer clothing, extravagant vacations but chose to live a balanced life instead. After hearing this story I realized that it was a choice to either live a peaceful life or work all the time to acquire things that you get tired of having anyways and not enjoy life.
So I made a list of what is important to me and what is not. I chose to buy time and have not regretted it!
For more suggestions on how to buy time, a great read is Find More Time by Laura Stack.
great post leslie! so - are you going to be leading another women's ministry after momlife?! fill us in!
ReplyDeleteHey Leslie, I had to write my final paper for 'principles of persuasion' on tying together 'Walden' and media, politics, and personal relationships in our lives with persuasion. It was very eye opening in view of 'simplicity vs culture' as a way of life. This summer/fall I am, (as of now) going to focus on learning this new job and doing things that I have put off because of school! Just like your post: getting back to the things that I love :)
ReplyDelete(not letting me sign in...but this is Casey :)