As we near Easter, or what I prefer to call the Resurrection Sunday, I wonder if we unknowingly worship the cross more than we worship the risen Christ. Take for example the very popular Chris Tomlin song "Oh the Wonderful Cross" -
O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live
O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
All who gather here by grace draw near and bless
Your name
Let's say that Jesus came in a different time period where cruxifiction on a cross was not the form of execution such as other devices such as the electric chair or lethal injection. Would we sing "o wonderful chair" or "o wonderful needle?" It wasn't the cross that saved us, it was the act of Jesus becoming sin, and identifying with us so that we can have eternal life. Just something I'm thinking about today....what are your thoughts?
Good thoughts Leslie! I agree with you. The cross is a thing. We need to look to the Man that WAS on the cross...but not anymore! He is Risen! :)
ReplyDelete