Friday, January 1, 2010

Journey through 2009

Reflecting on 2009...what a journey it was!

Our year started out so exciting! We were like the average college graduate who graduates with $19,000 of debt (times that by two!) We knew we wanted to pay it off early but our finances had no extra! We were making minimum payments. So we finally got serious about it and laid out a 1.5 year plan to get it paid off. We went through our budget and literally took out all extras that we were going to put towards this debt to pay it off by 2010. God had other plans and this is the journey that took us into 2009. He said He wanted us to give more to Him...we said, "how if we have to get out of this debt????" He said, "Trust me." And we did. He blessed us and we paid it off 8 months later. Only God can do that...and to Him goes all the glory!

We then got a little impatient! We wanted to so badly go on a vacation...the kids and I were voting Disney for various reasons that were good reasons. Good reasons don't always make a good decision. We paid for our Disney vacation in cash but you shouldn't go on that kind of vacation until you have at least 3 months of expenses saved for. We just jumped right in and "celebrated" a little too early. Wouldn't you know, many "unexpected" costs came up after that throughout the year...about $2000 worth. Ouch! That wasn't suppose to happen. That money was to go to pay for Kaleb's planned expenses, not the unplanned. I'm so thankful that even through the times we don't make the wisest decisions, the Lord provides. There were no "miracles" through this, just wisdom to make it work and we never had to get into our emergency fund savings through it all. Jeff and I have decided that we will not put our family in that kind of "tightness" again. While we loved every minute of Disney, it does remind us that it made for a tight 7 months that were left of the year. But the Lord is good and even called us to increase our giving yet again for a season. It never fails that when He calls you to give more than you think you can...He always provides it and more! Living debt free is incredible but it is still hard becuase we have to live without and it means I still drive an old car, didn't get to do a thing with my landscaping this year and means I still have to live with carpets in the bathrooms (with potty training little boys! You get the point..). I can't wait to have some "new" things but I'm living as the Lord has asked me to live and that's enough.

So, on to other journeys in 2009....the Lord brought a health concern to my attention (part of the unexpected expenses) and while I won't go into details for everyone to read, I got what I needed to get taken care of and I'm fine...praise the Lord. And I've gotten a control on my headaches (which were daily and made me miserable and grouchy!) which was an added expense...yeah, pretty much the unexpected expenses were me! But the Lord has been good and I'm learning how to take care of myself. I'm thankful Jeff doesn't complain about how much my chiropractor appointments and massage therapy appoitnments cost becuase its worth it to feel this great!

Spiritually, I've had a rough year. I've had to deal with a lot of junk in my heart...especially bitterness. This fall the Lord spoke truth into my life and I've been able to release that. The theme for my spiritual walk this year is based upon what I allow myself to think. I'm so thankful that the Lord has put different resources and people in my life to get me on the right path. I feel such freedom and no longer feel captive to the enemy's pull in that area of my life. I still have a long way to go but I made so much progress this year and am excited to see the changes in my life already! In addition, I've been challenged by a friend to become more disciplined...to live a life of excellence. By making small changes in the way I dress when I'm at home makes a HUGE difference! I've begun some changes and have already started seeing great results!

The big one...sending our oldest to school. Wow, that was hard! Especially because there was a big decision that came with it....would we homeschool or public school him. That left me paralyzed some days. I came to realize that if I were to homeschool, I would do it out of guilt of sending him to the public school, not because I felt a calling or passion to do it. It was hard, but we sent him with my husband's leadership decision and we've had a great year! Isaac is learning so much and even has given me opportunity to speak spiritual truths to him.

It's been exciting to see Isaac grow spiritually this year. I've journaled some things already with him but there is no better gift than to see your child accept the things of the Lord...whatever that might be. Only yesterday (well, actually all week) we've been struggling with him obeying. I asked him why he wasn't obeying and he said, "Mom, its becuase we haven't prayed about it!" That was music to my ears to hear him profess the need of his savior!

We also got frustrating and great news about Kaleb in 2009. Our first appointment in 2009 we were told that his heart had gotten a little worse (most likely from a growth spurt) and that we would have to continue appointments every 6 months. However, by his second appointment we were released for a year! Continuing to pray for his healing and waiting to see what the Lord has in store for him. We are also entering a new phase of behavior issues. Oh, how these time with a preschooler can by trying!

Jeff and I made some marriage observations this year. We've realized that weekly dating does incredible things in our marriage...not sure why we stopped. Oh, I think its overcommitting ourselves and neglecting our marriage...sound familiar to some of you? (I know we aren't the only ones that do it!) We are starting 2010 on the right track by getting our date nights solid and non-negotioable! Anyone want to join me? I'm going to have to get creative about home dates because getting out each week is not an option. We'll see what happens.

I can't forget mentioning the wonderful friendships we have begun this year and the wonderful couple we've started spending more time with. Funny how you can be friends with someone for years and it took us this long to start spending time together consistently. Thankful for old friendships being renewed and the new friendships I've formed.

2010 is definitely going to look different. We do learn from our mistakes (which I'm thankful for!) and we are entering into a new phase of life. I've decided to transition back into the workforce which I'm excited and scared about. Hoping I don't get overwhelmed and give up. What I love is that getting back into the work force is done completely how I want and around my family's schedule. I love running my own business and the fact I can put more hours in as I want to and still be at home! I LOVE it! And I'm so thankful for a great friend who didn't have fear to ask me to join an incredible company that has literally changed my life in so many ways.

I'm looking forward to 2010 as a new "me" emmerges. A woman who fears less, has a clean heart and mind and dives into a dream I've had for a while. And I get to live life with my incredible husband of almost 8 years. What a joy he is and such a gift. I never dreamed I would have a husband like Jeff who loves me through my imperfections and loves me wholeheartedly as the Lord designed a man to love his wife.

As I look back over 2009 I realize we had many triumphs and lots of learning experiences that we'll carry over into the new year. Thankful for new beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment