Saturday, January 26, 2013

Lessons while sick

I expected the morning sickness to come but I think I forgot in 7 years just how awful it can get.  So, I'm writing to remind myself and share some insights I learned over the 8 week span.

Spiritual Lessons
Sometimes the Lord chooses to allow us to suffer.  Some women are blessed to truly enjoy a pregnancy sickness free while others experience a painful journey up to delivery.  I would say I landed somewhere in the middle.  I wasn't throwing up multiple times a day but I felt like my entire life was put on hold because I felt so nauseous for many hours of the day, some parts of the day worse than others.  I recently discovered in a spiritual gift assessment that I have the gift of problem solving so it comes as no surprise that I wanted to figure out why I was experiencing this and FIX IT!  I read a lot....was it diet related?  Would exercise take care of it?  What about certain supplements?  Did I not claim healing and believe it enough?  Some articles and professionals say morning sickness is a good thing...others say it means nothing....I have no idea!  All I know is that my body experiences it.  While I never really figured out why I experience it or what I could do to eliminate it, I did come to a conclusion that even if the Lord chose not to take it away, He would strengthen me through it.  I had a choice...I could rejoice with new life inside of me or I could complain and allow myself to feel miserable.  I did a bit of both!  Some days were easier to rejoice while other days I simply wanted the misery to end.  During this time I was reminded that the NT (2 Corinthians chapter 12) talks about Paul's journey of being able to touch a handkerchief and send it for healing while he could do nothing for the thorn in his side.  It reminded me that I can ask and believe in healing but the Lord may have a far greater purpose for me to experience the pain, whatever that might be.  During this time the Lord reminded me that his grace was sufficient so my prayers changed from healing to asking the Lord for joy and grace to endure it.  Every time I prayed this, peace flooded over me and the uncomfortableness was a bit easier to handle.

During this time I had 3 other women in my life experiencing varying degrees of morning sickness.  Because I was experiencing it, I could have empathy and compassion for these friends who were experiencing similar symptoms...I could pray in a different way for them than I could had I never experienced it.

I am so thankful for those who would check on me and pray for me often. I didn't sleep a lot through the night during a couple weeks.  I would wake up feeling miserable and have a hard time falling back asleep but one random night I slept all night.  The next morning a friend texted and asked me if I was ok.  I told her "Yes, in fact I slept so well last night!"  She said that she did not sleep well but felt a need to pray for me all night.  Her prayers gave me a restful night.  I love how the Lord uses the body of Christ to build up those of us struggling at times.  Never miss a beat to pray for someone the Lord lays on your heart...you have no idea how much of a blessing it will be to them!

Practical Lessons
In a practical sense, I will prepare better next time around (if the Lord chooses to bless us with more blessings).  Here's the checklist I will attempt to accomplish next time around.  I am thankful to have a 2 week grace period before the sickness begins so I want to use that better next time....

1) Lots and lots of meals in the freezer....my husband was amazing!  He prepared dinner alone for weeks and weeks without my help as I was laying on the couch and couldn't even be near the kitchen or dining room table at mealtime.  Even when I did feel like eating, I had no energy to make it.

2) Take some extra time off school if possible - I was so thankful for Christmas break.  We extended it to a 3 week break which was the best thing I could have done.  If we are aware that pregnancy is a possibility and I can plan far enough ahead, I will take the worst 2 weeks off (weeks 9-11 are the worst).

3) Do a ton of cleaning and then take 8 weeks off....what's a little dust??? It's just really bad when you were behind before and then take 8 weeks off.  We survived!  Or better yet, hire someone else do it while I'm sick if possible.  

Giving Lessons
From this experience I want to be more aware of my girlfriends experiencing this.  A meal, a card, offering to help in some way to help relieve her during this rough season will be more at the forefront of my mind now!

A few Tips 
I did find a few tricks to help take the edge of my sickness that I will share..
* Take B6 - it really does help ease it.  Never took it away but helped.  I took it all day long at the direction of my doctor.
*Eat small meals throughout the day
*No big meals in the evening - my body just couldn't handle fat in the evening and I would feel very miserable by eating certain foods
*Vernors - my favorite soda
*Chewing gum
*Sucking on ginger candy or preggie pops - or any sour hard candy
*Crackers by my bed so eat all night long
*Toast first thing in the morning before getting out of bed - thankful to my husband who took care of me each morning (and still does).
*While I did get a prescription I wanted to wait until I absolutely needed to take it such as getting to the point of possible dehydration.  Since I never got to that point, I never did take it to remain on the safe side.
*It also did ease my anxiety to always carry a plastic bag in my purse should I need to use it. :)

I am so thankful to be on the much milder side of morning sickness now but am thankful also for the lessons the Lord taught me during this time.  

1 comment:

  1. Great tips, and as a grandma, I could certainly help with freezer meal preparation for those I know are expecting.

    I was fortunate in that I didn't have morning sickness - until my ninth month of pregnancy. It wasn't too bad, except trying to reach the toilet while nine months pregnant was a bit of a challenge!

    Sue Nunemaker

    ReplyDelete