If you are a parent, I'm sure you've said it. If you've not said, I know you've heard it. The phrase that sounds something like this...."there won't be any presents for you to open up if you don't start behaving!" The phrases are different but carry one theme...if you are GOOD enough, you'll get what you want.
I have a problem with this. No one is GOOD enough for God's ultimate gift of Jesus as our savior to die a horrible death so that we can have everlasting life with Him, yet He sent Him anyways. Are we teaching our children that love is conditional? I know many of us struggle with accepting grace. Could it be that our parents unknowingly taught us that love is conditional at times? There are many times my perfectionism paralyzes me because I feel I have to be "perfect" to receive the Lord's blessings. Obviously that's not true because he still blesses despite the fact I try to be perfect and can never reach the perfectionism I strive for.
I know the days that the kids are doing everything but what you want from them and Christmas is around the corner and you know they see all the gifts under the tree. Let's be reminded that love gives even when it's undeserving. Love teaches, not threatens.
Why do you buy gifts in the first place? I know for me its a way to love my children. It's an incredible feeling to see them open something they've wanted and asked for. Will you really take the gifts back? Will you really make Christmas miserable for you all? My guess is that you won't. Empty threats won't teach our children anything.
As I'm writing, I've been there! I can only write about experiences that I experience. I've done it and the Lord is telling me to stop. Maybe someone else reading can relate and know that you aren't the only one! However, we can encourage each other to discipline in love and not out of frustration. It's a hard task!
No comments:
Post a Comment