For two Saturdays in March we took the opportunity to learn more about childbirth.
WHY? After going through the birth experience twice now, here are reasons why we chose to take this particular class:
1) We desire a different birthing experience than what we had with the boys.
2) I love to learn and the fact that it had been 9 years since our last childbirth class, I knew I needed some tune-ups.
3) It was highly recommended by a friend who has the same birthing philosophy that we do.
4) My doctor recommended it after listening to the type of birth experience we desire.
5) Our doula gave us a discount on her services if we attended.
Previous Experience.....
Prior to the birth of both boys we had the desire to do a drug free birth. We took the hospital class offered to us before Isaac was born and while I felt like we learned a lot, I could not remember anything when the time came to have him! It was a scary and emotional experience for both of us that we were not prepared for even though I thought we had prepared enough. After several hours we chose an epidural. However, a few hours after receiving it, one side wore off. Oh my, that had to be worse than no epdirual at all because I was still tied to a bed. Not at all the experience we were hoping for.
For Kaleb we chose a different birth route. Instead of a physician we chose a midwife in FW that delivered at Parkview. Our prenatal care was excellent and I loved her. I loved the fact that she would be with me the entire time providing support to Jeff and me. We wouldn't be left alone to deal with everything and that was very comforting to us. Again, I wanted a drug free birth but as things progressed we felt like an epidural may be the best option (though looking back we would have been fine without one). While this was a far better experience, we still had a few bumps in the road.
Preparing for our third.....
After talking with a friend who had a great experience with a doula, we decided to look into this option for our current pregnancy. We also had to find a new physician or midwife since the midwife we used for Kaleb does not delivery very many babies anymore. Thankfully we connected with a wonderful physician that has very similar philosophy as a midwife and we felt it was a great match. If you have never heard of a doula (which I was not familiar with at all with our boys), here is a great 6 min clip explaining what it is from a local doula.....How A Doula Can Help You During Childbirth.
We also took the childbirth class offered through Birth Matters for the reasons mentioned above. I can't even say enough about this class. It was small, interactive, full of info not taught in the hospital class we attended prior and just a great overall experience! Hallie is an incredible teacher and we loved learning from her.
One thing I want to say regarding this class is that even if you do not desire a drug free birth, this class is still an excellent investment! What we learned about the birth process is just amazing. I have read books on this but never truly understood until I could talk live with an expert and ask lots of questions. Simple things I've always heard that I never truly understood ....like what is really going on during labor, what does effacement and dilation really mean? You truly get well rounded information like none I've ever heard before, which allows you to truly make the best decisions for you and baby. I believe it also empowers the husbands. Jeff felt like he left truly understanding the birth process as well.
New mindset...
Prior to the first meeting with my doula I told her that I wanted a drug free birth but I was scared to try it after giving up both times with the boys. After taking this class, I am no longer fearful of it. I realize this doesn't mean everything will run smoothly but I feel more empowered and filled with wisdom than before any of my other deliveries. I certainly have no idea what our birth story will be this time around but I'm so thankful for the opportunities to prepare for our third experience.
Baby Gender Revealed....
We found out we'll be having a baby girl in July!! We have named this precious new member of our family but we'll wait to reveal that when she comes.
A few more pregnancy pictures....
| 23 weeks |
| 25 weeks |

No comments:
Post a Comment