Monday, August 27, 2012

Reading Vs Hearing

Lately I've been feeling quite dry in my Scripture reading.  I read because I have need to.  I know its important but sometimes its more of a discipline than something I look forward to doing.  Can anyone relate?  And many times I'll read it and not really know what I just read but I figure I did it and need to keep moving with my morning.  Part of this is laziness on my part.  If I don't have a notebook in hand to jot down insights, I typically just read without looking for insight.  Lets not even go to my prayer life. While I do talk with the Lord all day long, I don't set aside time to just really pray about everyday life...my children's hearts, my marriage, friendships, ministries, etc.  I cry out to the Lord in need everyday but just don't sit with him quietly bringing every area of my life to Him.  

So I took a step to change that last week.  Got a new notebook out and decided I would find at least one thing to take away from scripture each day.  I wouldn't stop reading until I had heard from the Lord in some way.  I would also make a prayer schedule and keep a prayer journal.  I kept on my current reading schedule reading through 2 Corinthians.

Look what the Lord revealed/challenged me to in 3 days of reading....

Do I live as if I'm a new creation in Christ?  2 Cor 5:17  What do I still need to put off?  Things like wrongful thinking, anxiety/worry, sinful ways that want to creep in like gossip, envy, bitterness, doubt.

After reading 2 Cor 6:3 - We put no stumbling block in anyone's path.  Can I honestly say I don't put stumbling blocks in front of others?  Lord, reveal areas where I cause others to stumble.  Things like grouchy attitude at home to my husband and boys came to mind, gossip/wrongful talk where the boys can hear me, wrong thinking share with others, legalism.

2 Cor 7:1 - Purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.  Lord, what do I need purified from?  What do I put before you, Lord? Things like spending a lot of energy trying to keep life balanced, my to do list, thinking about success in what I do instead of who I am in Christ, living in the future (whether its fear based or thinking of exciting things to come) and not enjoying today's gift.

Who's spirit can I refresh?  Lord, I desire to be uplifting to those around me - especially to Jeff and the boys who tend to get the worst of me.  

More scripture I ran across about the words we speak from Proverbs 15:4 and Matthew 12:34 convicted me.  My prayer was to speak words of life and get rid of the words that tear down.  Wouldn't you know, that particular day I read and prayed this I could have gotten grouchy mom of the year award.  I had no patience with my kids and later that day the Lord revealed to me that while I had prayed for strength in this area, I had failed to keep it on the forefront of my mind and had allowed the enemy to get in.  I repented and asked the Lord to be in my words and help me to recognize it before I let my emotions do the talking.  I'm so thankful that I have a savior who gives me the grace I need and kids who pour grace over me daily as well.  

I'm overwhelmed when I think about all I miss when I "just read" my daily scripture reading.  I know the Lord is willing and ready to speak to me each day, but will I actually take the time to listen and study?  I feel renewed and have a new passion for my time with Him in the mornings.

Would love to hear how you make time with the Lord a priority!  I truly believe its a choice we make each day.  






1 comment:

  1. I have to have time with God in the morning. If I don't then, I usually don't. Without it my life is VERY dry. I LOVE to study but some days I don't have time to study hard.
    What helped me was to have 1 book I am studying (taking notes, study tools, etc) and then another I am just reading to know and for fun. For example: I am studying Ephesians and reading through the prophets chronologically. I find that if I don’t read the Bible my life and relationship with God suffers. Something else that helped was I bought the Bible on mp3/cds and listen to it in the car. That is awesome and such a different perspective!!

    What helped me with my prayer time was I bought an index card box and put people/situations/etc on index cards and (most) days I pray for 2 cards. I would always feel horrible I wasn’t praying for absolutely everything and then I would stop praying. This helped me a lot!
    It’s great to read your insights! :)

    ReplyDelete