Friday, October 30, 2009

Thoughts on Halloween

I have to say that I never thought I'd be at the point of compromising some holiday decisions Jeff and I decided to make nearly 10 years ago. It was easy then...no kids. We had our convictions and we weren't going to budge! That was when I was a little more on the legalistic side of my faith. Now I struggle with legalism and freedom in Christ to make decisions that run a fine line.

So, here it is....Halloween. The holiday itself is dark and evil. I really don't believe the Lord wants us to particpate in these things. However, are we to be "light" in this dark holiday and what does that look like? Are we compromising our faith to be a part of it? What does it mean to be in the world but not of it yet carry on the distinct good fruit that our Lord asks us to carry? If I shut my lights off and pretend I'm not home on Halloween am I "of the world"....choosing not to compromise my faith by participating? Or do I turn my light on and spread the love of Jesus to those that come to my home on Halloween? This is speaking theoretically because I live in the country and the only person that might come by is my neice and of course we'd welcome her in at any time.

Isaac asked to dress up for Halloween. Jeff and I made the decision that our family would never participate in any fashion within this holiday. But I keep asking myself "is it wrong to let the kids dress up and go to Grandma and Grandpa's house for a little fun?:" Yet, are we compromising by participating in a holiday that is driven by evil? Just something to think about....

I have many of the same questions rolling around in my mind about some Christmas traditions but that will be another topic for another day..... would love any feeback and thoughts on this matter.

1 comment:

  1. deeeeeeeep! but this is something i wrestled with when i was raising my kids too...and still had difficulty settling anywhere. i do think that it's such a big deal in our culture that it's impossible to get away from. so if your children are not going to participate in that, it might be a good idea to create an alternative tradition that they look forward to from year to year so they don't feel like they're 'missing out'.

    joy

    ReplyDelete